5th Grader needs help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tzvarnell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    I am pleased with the way my son is playing his trumpet and he sounds good to me. An untuned ear. He says his teacher says he play to low. How can I help him?

2. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    air

3. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    More or less air? I have no clue how to play the trumpet.

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    By "low" is your son's band director referring to low pitch (flat) or too soft? If too soft, be sure he is sitting with his back not touching the back of the chair, and that he is learning to breathe by using his abdominal muscles. Also, ask his band director what he is doing incorrectly, and what he needs to make corrections. A teacher's advice is the best avenue.

5. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    TZ,,, I suspect you need to contact your son's teacher and ask just what he/she means by your son "playing too low." His teacher could best identify his "problem" and likely give you some ideas about how you can help at home. Good Luck..... JA

6. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    I believe it is his pitch is to low.

7. 12erlgro

12erlgro Pianissimo User

Oct 29, 2010
    Norway
    the best way to breath right when you play is to stand, but else don't tuch the back of the cheer and be straight in the back good luck :play::thumbsup:

8. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    He says he needs to buzz faster. Will correct his problem.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I suggest that he practice with only his mouthpiece sometimes during his regular practice routine. Just play some simple warm-ups, exercises, and songs from his material. He should also do some free buzzing w/o the mpc. This can/should be done whenever. If it gets annoying to the family, that's a good thing. It shows his level of interest. One thing some new players don't fully understand is that the mouthpiece and trumpet are inanimate hunks of metal. The mouthpiece receives HIS buzz and transfers it to the trumpet. His lips are what is creating the sound, not the equipment. The only way to correct intonation problems is with a tuner. A decent one can be bought for $20-$30. Put it on the bell leading to the rim and play until the indicator is in the middle. This will hopefully assist in training his ear. As has been mentioned, standing is a good way to practice, because it's hard to slouch while standing. MOST importantly , make sure he's having fun. If it isn't fun, his chance of success will diminish.

10. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    Ohh my gosh annoying to mom, yes it has. Thanks all so much I will buy him a tuner so I know also when the sound is correct. Just cause it sounds good doesn't mean it is correct. He really wants to play the trumpet and his teacher is just wanting him to change his instrument to a Tuba.