5th Grader needs help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tzvarnell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

If HE wants to play the trumpet, don't switch him to tuba just yet. Nothing wrong with it and most tuba players didn't start on it. 5th grade is a little early to determine that he can't/shouldn't play the trumpet.

3. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    That is what I thought he only has been playing it for 2 months. Lets give him a few more. I just think his teacher wants more tuba players. But I have bought a nice trumpet and have repaired it along with my dad's cornet. So I have invested like 500.00 in a trumpet he can play it. We will get him a tuner and he will be just fine. I am impressed with his trumpet playing. Much better than my and my instrument playing when I was in 5th grade.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Korg is a good product. You may be able to search and find one a little less expensive though. Just make sure it can be clipped on to the trumpet AND not mess up the finish. :thumbsup:

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

Band directors are ALWAYS looking for lower brass players. When I was your son's age, my director wanted me to play trombone. Stick with the trumpet and expand later. If you wife thinks a trumpet player can be annoying. A tuba will shake the house :lol:!

6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
  7. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    This is from his Teacher.

Zaine has done very well with the fingerings on the trumpet. I will hold off a little longer on him playing the baritone. The baritone, however, would not be a hard transition. It's the same notes, note names, and fingerings. Nothing would change as far as how he plays, it would just be a slightly larger instrument.

I understand you would like to keep him on trumpet, but if he cannot play high enough, we will have to switch him eventually.

Thank you,
    Keith Medders

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Fingerings, schmingerings!

In two months concern about how high he can play is nonsense. The teacher is not referring to pitch, but to range, and is more interested in his need for a baritone player than what your son wants. Don't bother with a tuner, it isn't a good idea at this stage of learning.

The kid deserves at least a year to get around the trumpet, if that is what he wants.

9. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    Yeah my major concern is that he is going to lose interest in band cause he is forced to play an instrument he really don't want to play. This is also the Bands instructors only second year of teaching he is a young teacher and don't have children of his own.

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The standard response for band directors who have kids struggling to develop the beginning embouchure for trumpet is to stick them on low brass. DO NOT switch your child to another instrument unless they want to make the change, and don't allow the director to talk you into filling out his personal wants or needs for instrumentation in the band. He can't force you guys to do anything.

If you want your child to succeed with this, get them into lessons with a real trumpet teacher ASAP. A teacher can assess firsthand what needs to happen to get your child's embouchure working correctly and it may only take a few lessons to do it.

tobylou8 likes this.