5th Grader needs help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tzvarnell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    tzvarnell,

Check your PM (private messages). Click User CP and then List Messages.

2. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    one other thing to mention about the tuba or baritone is that they're way more expensive than a trumpet. the $500 you have invested in a trumpet so far is a drop in the bucket for a tuba. Of course most schools will let you use a tuba, but if he ever want's his own tuba it will be expensive.

About tuners... the trumpet is in the key of Bb so many cheaper tuners will state the name of the note in concert pitch. so your son will play a "C" on the trumpet and the tuner will read "Bb". This can be confusing to a youngster.

The tuner in the link below can be set to show the note based on the key of the instrument and is currently $30. I also clips on the instrument like the Korg one you had in your link.
    Sabine Zoid Clip On Tuner for Band and Orchestra Instruments - Free Shipping, Lowest Prices on Tuners & Metronomes at WWBW

3. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    Ok, Great. Thanks for that info. I would love to get him lessons, but it is a little difficult for me to get him to them. Is there any books or online info you all might suggest. I could see if his teacher would give him some but I think he wants him to fail anyways so.

I thank you all for your time and info. Thanks so much.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Here's the problem with trying find a solution from a book - that only really works if you have some context to work with. Since you admit that you don't know anything about the trumpet and your son is a beginner, you don't really have any kind of context to know whether you would be helping the situation or making it worse.

See if you can find a teacher willing to do just one or two lessons off the cuff at a time that will work for you. That will be by far the most beneficial thing you can do in my opinion.

5. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    Makes total since. My neighbor was a music teacher. And she said before she would help.

And I will make him buzz on these extra cornet mouthpieces we have at home.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    :thumbsup:

That sounds like a good idea - typically I'm not a big believer in mouthpiece buzzing, but at the beginning stages, it might be just the thing to get his embouchure going. Another trick you might have him try is to flip the mouthpiece over and blow across it to see if he can get it to whistle, kind of like you'd do with a bottle.

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    In retrospect I wish instrumental music instructors / band directors would "get off their kick" about suggesting trumpet students change to tuba, when the truth be that their instruction is what fails.

Families have made contracts for a specific instrument and want to get their monies worth.

Yes, I learned tuba but not in lieu of trumpet but adjunct to it, thus I gained ... not at any loss. The only modern brass instrument I haven't played is a fluglehorn, but even now I'm not adverse to learning it ASAP.
    I do not forsee it to be a problem when my health and dental issues are resolved.

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    :-o :-o :-o

MUCH heavier & quite a bit larger than a trumpet.

9. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    By teaching my son to learn how to buzz higher. I have observed that my moving the bottom jaw it changes the pitch in my buzzing. And by moving my bottom jaw forward it makes the pitch higher.

Maybe I should just take my bumm up to the school and talk to the teacher.

Yes, Ed I want to get my monies worth out of my investment. But when the first thing out of his mouth when he get home is that his teaching is changing his instrument cause he can't buzz high. And it isn't a thing of he can't do it he needs to be thought how to do it correctly instead of just saying your doing it wrong.

I am also going to become a good trumpet player just by trying out how to teach him how to play correctly. Not a bad thing. Thanks so much for you input on this.

10. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC