5th Grader needs help.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tzvarnell, Nov 17, 2010.

1. ColinWhite

ColinWhite Pianissimo User

Oct 16, 2010
    East Lansing, MI
    Haha, funny video. But seriously, it would be really good to get him a real trumpet teacher, we can only help a little bit because we don't know exactly what his problem is. My advice: to play higher, you need to make the aperture (the hole in the lips that the air comes out of) smaller. Tighten the aperture and the note will go higher. Think of it like a water hose, when you put your finger over the end of hose and make the hole smaller, the water comes out faster - that is basically what we are trying to accomplish.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Larger, yes, and the modern baritone in trumpet configuration isn't just heavier, it so out of balance that carpal tunnel syndrome is invited.

Likewise for a euphonium ... although I've yet to see one in the trumpet configuration,

In the chest models, across a full sized theater stage, or from the sidelines to the center of the football field, few could identify which is which, baritone or euphonium. The bari tubing is the same ID size in steps through the valve block, with the euph it is variable in a conical mode similar to the cornet. Mine is the chest type with recording bell. Still, I've a mellophone in F that is trumpet configuration ... and sometimes I feel a string from it to the ceiling would provide a little more comfort in playing it.

The biggest problem about a tuba is that it usually minimizes practice to the situs of the school that provides such. Yeah, hit the online sellers and you'll quickly note that tubas start in the thousand dollar range even those needing another thousand or more to make playable. I just sold a very old one for over a thou noting that an overhaul would cost me nearly two thou and that wasn't including finish restoration, and just the repair needed would be over $600. I don't have any pretentions of being in a stage or marching band anymore, thus much less need.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OMG, RUN, FOREST RUN!! Stick to your guns. ANY teacher at that level that is concerned about RANGE after 2 month's is a [email protected]#$!%!%^ MORON!:x:x:x:x:x:x:soap::soap::soap::soap:. If your son loves the trumpet and you think he has potential, get him a private teacher and disregard this MORON'S advice. Sorry if that's harsh sounding if you are a teacher and read this.

4. tzvarnell

tzvarnell New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    OKC
    lol Sounds like good advice to me. I don't know if he has potential but he sure enjoys playing it. The other day after a few hours of listening to him I had to tell him to put it up. Enough was enough.

The neighbor lady also gave him some advice on how to reach the high notes. So maybe that will help him some.