6 octaves on a trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, May 9, 2010.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, truth be told! I was horsing around with a different video camera as I get ready to finish up a video project. I think it will streamline my editing process for this. So I just grabbed a horn and did this with NO SERIOUS intention at all. I was "paying homage" to Shane Lee sings 5 octaves on a piano. My students kept bugging me to watch this. I finally did. All I can say is, uh, wow! So I'm sort of messing with that a bit. I decided to just put it up on Youtube and see what happens. I predict not much, since I can't abide the trolls, and hence block comments and ratings. So, you all can have a chuckle! Maybe it will help with my advertising! ;-)

YouTube - Nick Drozdoff Plays 6 Octaves on a Trumpet

Peace!

Nick

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Sorry Nick, but I can only approve of the
    first 5 octaves. The last one you played
    by changing the position of your mouthpiece.

This means; you will NEVER be able to play all
    the pieces out there written for 6 octaves!

My suggestion? I think you´ll have to change
    your embouchure COMPLETELY!

:cool:

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No he needs a new mouthpiece and trumpet. That NYTC stuff is simply too high quality!

Consider Nicks past, present, age and dues paid. This is what "earning it" is about (even if he only needs<4 of those octaves normally).

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    That was obscene!

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    I am much impressed by Nick's abilities. I do want to find out if he can do what Ernst Albert Couturier did regularly in concert, playing a full five octaves on a cornet with a deep vee cup 'cookie cutter' mouthpiece. Now, THAT takes a fine embouchure. I know that it is far beyond my personal abilities.

OLDLOU>>

6. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Well, you should be! :lol: Nick's a fine player! (pretty good for a fellow engineer and science dweeb, too! ;-)).

I first met Nick when he soloed with the Lake Forest (IL) symphony orchestra one Fourth of July concert back in the 1980s. I was playing second trumpet in the orchestra, and was rather blown away by his playing of the Arban Carnival of Venice variations.

Some time later he subbed on 1st trumpet in an LFSO concert and so I got to sit next to him. Still later, he was the first Eb soprano cornet player in the (then) newly formed Illinois Brass Band (of which I was principal Bb cornet) so I got quite an earful of him! :shock: :-P.

He's another of those guys from whom I learned things about my playing, simply from playing with him in the same group. :thumbsup:

Thanx, Nick!! :lol:

Guy Clark

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I agree with the others. You should try a new mouthpiece, different horn, study breathing techniques, totally change your embassure, practice your buzzing, consider a private teacher, work on your long tones, improve your posture, and you might make a middle of the road player. I don't think you were holding the horn correctly either. That is what is likely affecting your limited range.

Just joking. It was great, even for fun. Wish I could do half that. Always enjoy your posts!

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Yea, but can you do it ascending!!

9. NickD

NickD Forte User

Yikes! I go to a rehearsal and look what happens!! ;-)

OK, Bob has thrown the gauntlet. I'll do it ascending for the next clip. I was thinking about it, but this literally was something that popped out. If Shane Lee can do it...

Sorry about the rest for the DPC. I was lazy.

I really have to crash. Apologies to all those musicians out there with good taste for this egregious exhibition on my part.

Actually, I just wanted to work the word 'egregious' into the thread.
    ;-)

ND/&out

10. bigdanv

bigdanv Pianissimo User

Jan 13, 2009
    Connecticut
    That was ok, but you didn't come close to the artistry displayed by the great Shane Lee.