6 octaves on a trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, May 9, 2010.

1. krmanning

krmanning Pianissimo User

Apr 18, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    All I can say is...damn.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Ya.. what he said. Was he using a Wedge mpc?

3. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    I may have to go buy a better speaker system just to hear some of the high notes in your new 'Phaetons Toys' video :p

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Dang dogs are howling at the door. How high was that?

5. NickD

NickD Forte User

My dog puts in ear plugs.

The next thing I'm going to do is "beat boxing free style trumpet."
    Ok, that's pretty obscure. Actually, I'm going to be stepping up the efforts to get the instructional video project done. Gotta keep it serious for a while.

TTFN
    ND

6. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I think that you missed it when I threw you a challenge. It is a historical fact that E.A.Couturier played in concert over five full octaves with a medium bore cornet with a deep vee cup 'cookie cutter' mouthpiece. Can YOU do that? I admit that I can't. Will you?

OLDLOU>>

7. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, Lou!

I'm skeptical about that five octaves claim. (especially on a cornet and cornet mouthpiece). Bottom 1&3 G to bottom of the staff G is one octave. Bottom of the staff G to top of the staff G is another octave. Top of the staff G to the next G up makes only three octaves, and most of us top out below that G. Another G above that would also not be in the instruments' slots, but simply "squealing" with the horn acting as a megaphone. I, personally don't think I'd call them particularly musical notes up there in the fourth octave. :evil:

Another octave over that? Still more squealing noise. :shock:

Is it an octave below the 1&3 G? "Pedal tones"? Those notes between 12&3 F# and the actual pedal tone C don't exist on a three valve instrument, so they're not going to be very musical notes, and then the actual pedal tones below that really aren't supported for physics of acoustics reasons on cornets or trumpets. Again, not likely to be very musical.

IF the claim is that E.A.Couturier made sounds approximating pitches within this range, OK, I can't dispute it as I have no recordings, but I'm not sure I'd say that it was likely to be very musical. :dontknow:

I've heard people like Maynard, Cat Anderson, Bud Brisbois, and others squealing out ultra high notes, but I'm afraid that from a musical sense, I'm not particularly impressed (physically, of course, but it has the beauty of weight-lifting, too. (to me) ). I've also heard the "legit" high-note people like Maurice Andre doing the high note thing and even for them, some of these high-notes are less than satisfying to my ear (Michael Haydn concerto played by Maurice Andre: that high A isn't very pretty.) :-?

I prefer to work on my sound and technique in the "normal" range of my instruments. Once I can play everything between low F# and say, high F, a range of "only" three octaves, perfectly, I think THEN I might try to extend my range further. :cool:

Sorry for the rant, I just hate listening to people making noise when they could be making music. :dontknow:

Just my opinion...

Guy Clark

8. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    I loved the sarcasm.

Nick that was great!!

The mechanics of playing actually come before the musical nature of playing. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Was it music? Maybe yes, maybe no. I'm impressed.

The security and confidence that you derive as you ascend to a 4 ledger line G (knowing that a whole octave above is easily within your grasp) allows you to free the mind from worry and think only about what you need to say and not how you're going to go about saying it.

As a player with a MCFB mindset currently studying with Laurie Frink, I believe that much of what we do is clinical: a means to the musical end. I think that's what Guy is talking about - the fine line between elegance and horsepower. Impressive? Yes. Musical? Not necessarily.

Is it a means to an end or the goal? That's the real debate. Having heard Nick play, I'd say that the 5 octaves was an impressive trick and that allows Nick to do much of what he's able to do as a MUSICIAN on the trumpet.

As Chevy Chase asked in the old SNL episode, "Is it a dessert topping or a floor wax? Its both".

Great playing Nick and a terrific thread thanks to Guy's POV.

9. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Guys!

As a scientist/engineer/geek, I know I have had a tendency towards working on the mechanical (technical) aspects of whatever it is I do, trumpet included. Since marrying my brass band standpartner, however, I've come 'round to the "music should be first" idea.

Anything we do, if it doesn't ultimately make better music is a waste of time in my book. The idea of having extra capablilty (be it range, endurance, flexibility) in your wallet, so you can play without worry is a very valid and enticing idea!! Super high notes for the sake of super high notes don't impress me musically anymore.

Later!

Guy

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I am in FULL agreement with you. I use from F# to E or F above the staff with confidence and musicality. My definition of music , structured sound in a rythmic and harmonic pattern that is pleasing to the human ear. Screaching offends my ears and sensibilities. Maybe I am just getting too old.

OLDLOU>>