6 octaves on a trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, May 9, 2010.

1. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Nick, I´ve been thinking:

SubCounterC = 16.3516 Hz

and (hope the words are reasonably correct)

SevenAccented C = 16744.0362 Hz

These are about the limits to what normal people can hear
    (let´s just forget that few people in here are normal . . .)

So, the range possible to hear is about 10 octaves, and YOU have
    already mastered 6 of them!

Can we expect a sub-to-super-sonic videoclip in the near future!?:-)

2. NickD

NickD Forte User

"Uh, uh, it's a joke, son!"

I'm with Rhode Island Red. You all is taking this thing way to seriously! I should have done the banter with a red neck drawl. Oh well...

This vid isn't music. It was just horsing around. Sorry, but I get that from hanging around with teenagers all day long. ;-)

As to Maynard or Buddy versus Bobby Hacket or Chris Botti, it's all a matter of TASTE! IMHO (imho...), there are never absolutes in art or music. I personally will never say music is bad or even imply it. I can't! I can say that SOME music doesn't appeal to me, and I have a tough time with those who are hugely successful without having paid attention to the craft of their instrument, achieving their success either via nepotism or good looks (often both) or some gimmick. However, I won't say their music is bad. My beef is the subject of another post altogether, and I guess that's part of my point.

Folks like Mayanrd, Waynard, Jesus Allemany, Faddis??? Personally, I love most of thier stuff! Is their music good or bad because they play them there high notes? Matter of opinion.

Blah, blah blah, rabble rabble rabble! This is droning on. Sorry. Gotta get to school!

Oh, Sofus, I'm trying to get a gig in an ultrasound clinic!

The vid is a joke folks! Thanks for posting!

Nick

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
  4. NickD

NickD Forte User

OK, I'll have to watch Bryan's trippa C vid later. FB is blocked here at school.

I forgot to mention, that I have heard the mighty Guy Clark play the Brandenburg and NAIL it!!! He plays it so well as to give them impression that he LIKES it! So, Guy is MORE than capable of playing some of the forbidden notes, and good at it. Hmmmm.... ;-) Heh, heh! Guy, you da man!

I thought I'd post this for some contrast:

"Look ma! No High Notes!"

YouTube - Broadway Demo #3 - Strictly Mellow

YouTube - At The River - Random Images of Solitude and Peace

YouTube - NYTC Broadway Flugel - 2nd Mvmt. Tchaikovsky Concerto

While we're on the subject, where do you all come down on Malcom McNab's treatment of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto? I will confess to bias. This has become one of my all time favorite trumpet recordings ever. Guy, I'd really like to see your thoughts on this. He covers 7 octaves on the first movement!

Yo, peace!

Nick

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    The last three Utube recordings are SPECTACULAR!!!!

OLDLOU>>

6. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, Nick!

You're too kind!! I did enjoy working up the Brandenburg that last time (1987, I think! wow, that's a long time ago! Got me to have my hernia fixed afterwards, though! ;-) )

I have enjoyed Malcolm's playing with orchestra. I'm not familliar with the Tchaik concerto recording to which you refer, though. He must be playing the fiddle part on trumpet? Shades of Serge Nakariakov!

Later!!!

Guy

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    I´ve never spent 10 minutes better before
    than listening to your clips, Nick!

Thanks!!