64th notes ???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ed Lee, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Has anyone on trumpet played 64th notes (4 flags)? Actually, in all trumpet music I've seen I've never seen one, yet in the alternate music texts they are shown. Well, I guess that's what you'd have to play in a quad tuplet of 32nd notes ... but that was in violin music I saw such. He played a great fiddle, but I was never sure that Granddad could read music. He'd tell my Mom or me to play a piece and then he'd play it which cause me to believe he had great ears and instant memory.

2. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    The time I've played or seen 64th notes used is when the time signature shows either 8th or 16th notes getting one count. For example 9/8 or 12/8 time or 24/16 time. In 24/16 you subdivide them like 16th notes.

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah, at =160. I think it's called flutter tongue (growl). :lol:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Nerts, ain't none of the above with 4 flags. Still, lookin' for the music ... not that I want to play them if I do find them. Still, I've played tempos faster than "160" and I ain't no pro.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I'm playing the Enesco Legend in a recital this sunday. It has 64th notes (which, in a previous lifetime, I was told are hemidemisemiquavers) at the bottom of the first page 2 measures before it goes back to 6/4.

6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Hemidemisemiquavers.. Weird English folk.. :lol:

The fastest I've played from sheet music were 32th notes and triplet 16th notes, in Alte Dessauer, which is at about a moderato tempo. When practicing, I might have gone faster, but I don't keep track of that. I might try once how fast I can go with a metronome

7. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    Ed... I checked my "Raphael Mendez Collection" sheet music and found a few short runs of 64th notes (Zigeunerweisen, Habanera, Jota No. 2, Hungarian Dance No. 5). Even the great Mendez played them legato :lol: as he did 32nd note passages. However, he was able to tongue or play staccato 16th note passages at (what I consider to be) extremely fast tempos. Check out his recordings of the above pieces -- you probably have them in your collection. If not you can find many of them on Youtube. JA

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Honestly, I don't have a single recording of Raphael, or Arturo either, I usually don't wince at accelerated tempo, having a track time for Flight of the Bumble Bee of 59 seconds which I admit approaches "bleep", but too have been playing Fucik's Entry of the Gladiators since I was a sophmore in high school which had I counted the times I've played it I believe now would be in the thousands, always telling myself that when I can play it well, I can play anything. It was originally called Grande Marche Chromatique and such is my routine scales practice.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, but mostly with classical pieces. In jazz, I only have gotten to 128th notes, but only the Committee and Recording can take these speeds. Got arrested twice by police officers in the audience for doing 128ths in a 32nd zone. That's an $80 fine at those speeds.

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah, and demerit points too.