6th space C (3rd valve down)?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kingtrumpet, May 2, 2011.

1. Adrian Perger

Adrian Perger New Friend

Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    You should write out a full alternate fingering chart. Go to the site I mentioned in an earlier post, write out the open harmonic series, including what's out of tune, and then write out the notes pressing your valves down will create from those open notes. Different horns might differ slightly from that model.

Above G you can't play any note with any finger. Not in tune anyway. Double C can be played with 0 2 1 12 23 because of that small section of notes way up there that IS actually chromatic. (C C# D Eb E). Using those same harmonics you could play chromatically up from high G using 1&3, but then that would be out of tune anyway just like low D is.

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Actually you can play just about any note above G above high C in tune, with any fingering.That's why different players can use different alternate fingerings for the same note. I do find the fingerings I use below high C work best for me above high C.I know some players that use alternate fingerings, but they are still in tune. Some players use alternates because it makes them easier to play, others because it puts them more in tune.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Above High C --it's easier for me to use the same fingerings as the C to high C -- that way I don't have to "think" about it, as it is already ingrained in my brain from the octave below.

4. Adrian Perger

Adrian Perger New Friend

Jul 11, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah I agree, but specific alternate fingerings, not just random squiggly fingers. Even high C and you could play 0, 1, 23, and 123. (I've never done all these but I worked it out according to the harmonic series and then tried it and it works). I'm sure different horns are out of tune up there, and different players struggle in that extreme register, so you pick one of the alternates that works.