7 in 7

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Someone here told me this, and I found the same exercise in my Claude Gordon Daily Trumpet Routines book. It goes like this:

"exercise:
    There are 7 valve positions:
    Start with the open(0) position and do lip slurs. Go as high and as low as you can and make sure your sound is soft and warm. Make the transitions from note to note smooth. After one minute, go to the next valve position(123) and do the same thing. If you "HONESTLY" do all 7 combinations (that would be around 7 minutes for all 7) every day and use the muscles I told you, you'll be a very happy camper by Christmas.
    Just remember this little saying, "7 in 7, 7 days a week"
    Just a note, this exercise will absolutey kick your butt. Your lip will feel like it ran a marathon. So remember, when you start getting tired, don't revert back to using mouthpiece pressure to change notes.
    As with any exercise of this nature, you're developing a muscle group. That's why it's important to pay close attention to what the muscles at the corners of the lips are doing. Feel what they are doing.
    In time, using the corner muscles will be second nature and you won't think about it as much.
    good luck"

In the Claude Gordon book it's SLURS I noticed the 2nd or 3rd day doing it, MUCH harder than popping each note in with your tongue.

I can say, this exercise is a GOOD one.

I want to thank whoever it is who told me about it, pass it on, and say, when you do this, do it LEGATO not STACCATO and you'll get a workout.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --------------
    You're welcome!
    Wow, I didn't know that Claude Gordon wrote about this years ago.
    While it's flattering to know this, I'd better better be safe and watch my back. The ghost of Claude might sneak up behind me and shove a large bore trumpet up my butt for unknowingly poaching his idea!
    From now on, I'll be sure to put his name on the advice when I write about it.

3. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    It's a good training, I've been doing that for quite a while - I like to mix it up tho, cause doing the same thing over and over will cause a decline in creativeness.
    Once you can do legato, try using a little glissando, now that's a real nut to be cracked.

Essentially it's the same as arpeggio related exercises with slurring and staccatoing.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    I think it's probably very basic stuff, so I'd not worry about anyone's ghost.

Yeah I like mixing stuff up too.

5. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    It is basic stuff, however, it's very important stuff.

6. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    This is what my teacher has me doing as part of my daily routine except that he has me doing only two notes in each valve position a total of seven times. He has me doing a series of slurring and tonguing combos over the course of those seven. Most weeks, there will be three tonguing/slurring combinations for each valve position. In recent weeks, he has moved the two constant notes higher, so I will eventually, I assume be going as high as I can without cracking.

Mark

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So now I'm confused. It seems like there are two ways to do lip slurs: lip muscles only, and "tongue assisted"/popping it with your tongue. If I do lip muscles only, no "ah-ee-ah-ee" I can go only so far. But when I combine both, lip muscles like little pistons plus "ah-ee..." I can go much higher. I thought the ah-ee made the air move faster which is essential for getting the higher registers. The thing I don't want to do is cheat and I have to admit, the ah-ee/tongue pop seems like cheating.

Shed light now please.

8. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    You do what feels comfortable to you, and that you can take for granted. If it works well for you ( especially if it comes from your instincts ) why not use it?

I train both these, lip muscle slurs strengthen the muscles - using the tongue to help hit the higher register - it's something I use to practice the accuracy of the tongue usage. Essentially as long as you don't do anything that's detrimental to your aparature, it' s all good - play around, experiment - that's all there is to it - discover and compare and decide what works best for you.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    As to the ah-ehh tongue pop thing, if I am getting you correctly is how I've always done lips slurs, and is how I teach them. the "pop" thing is your slots, and they are your friend.

It's not cheating. Just ask any Claude Gordon student, and students of pretty much any other method (at least those that I am aware of).

I am a huge proponent of using as little isometric movement in the chops as you can get away with Unwarranted, unnecessary and superfluous movement just tires you out that much quicker.

Yes, you can learn all this by yourself, fumble around in the dark, but learning this sort of stuff on your own is rarely the the ideal way. Ultimately you are your own teacher, but good guidance is a huge step up.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Satchmo asks:
    It seems like there are two ways to do lip slurs: lip muscles only, and "tongue assisted"/popping it with your tongue.
    --------
    Great question.
    It's actually is a combination of the two.
    aaaaaaa (short "a" sound) for the low notes and EEEE(long "E" sound) for the higher notes. These various tongue positions "assist what the lips are doing"
    Notice it's called "tongue assisted".
    Will the tongue by itself change notes? No.
    You can change the level of your tongue in an aaaaa or EEEE position till the cows come home and without a change in the aperture, the pitch will stay the same. The color of the note might change, but the note itself will remain the same.
    Its the combination that makes it work and, its fairly easy to do:
    For the low notes, the tongue is at the bottom of the mouth as if it were saying the short sound "aaaaaaa" as in "apple" and the lips are not as compressed.
    As a person goes up the register in a slur, the corners of the lips compress toward the center of the lips and the tongue is lifted to approximately the back of the top teeth as if verbalizing the long sound EEEEE as in "Emu". This "assists" the lips when playing in the upper register.
    Hope this helps

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010