7 in 7

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex_C, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Gordon intends it to be practiced lips only, no tongue assistance. It's to teach the AH-EEE etc., and yeah it's a lot harder that way. That's the point.

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Um, I think you mean to say no TONGUING - he ABSOLUTELY wanted his students to use the tongue. that's what the syllables are meant to accomplish. He calls this the tongue level, and it was central to all his teachings.

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah it's training tongue level, not using the tongue to start each note. OK this is confusing actually. he means SLURS not dah-dah-dah. The slur way is harder too.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    I think the confusion lies in what roles the tongue plays. There's tonguing (the dah-dah-dah which is what you're referring to above) used to interrupt the air stream when separating notes, and then there's tongue level, which, in conjunction with air speed and lip aperture, mediate the pitch. This is the aah, eee, and tssss Markie was referring to, and is a cornerstone of the Gordon method.

5. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

Markie

Your answer is tantamount to developing a "Technique" which I was blessed to be exposed to from my lesson with Mr. Arturo Sandoval.
    Prior to that I had never put it together, and because of this "Technique" that all the pros already know my practice range has incread by a whole octive and my playable range has increase my alittle over 1/2 an octive.

Nice explanation.:thumbsup:

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah using the tongue that way but not using the tongue to start/stop the notes. So yeah, I meant to say NO TONGUE'ING!

I was using tongueing at first :oops:

It's a lot harder done properly!

7. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009
    this original exercise 7x7 without tongue assistance is awesome

It made me 100 times better than I was before. I am practicing it for about 10 weeks now, twice a day

awesome, my chops are so powerfull I can scream high G without problem, not squeeze, but scream

Alex_C likes this.
  8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Very very cool Chet Fan!! It's good to hear!

I know in marksmanship there are a very few exercises that are VERY good, do them and you will improve a lot, this may be the same sort of thing for trumpet.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    chet sez:
    this original exercise 7x7 without tongue assistance is awesome

It made me 100 times better than I was before. I am practicing it for about 10 weeks now, twice a day

awesome, my chops are so powerfull I can scream high G without problem, not squeeze, but scream.
    ----------
    Now that's cool. It usually takes a season (3 months) to get results but you were able to get there sooner!

I gotta ask, were you like most people and found this exercise to be a butt kicker when you first started 10 weeks ago?

10. chet fan

chet fan Piano User

Jul 3, 2009

yes it was butt kicker, but I commited myself to that exersise. because the exercise is simple, and I like simplicity. And I beleive simple exercises are the best. I just liked it from the start. but it was hard.