7 nth Inning Stretch - Chris Botti

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by ALLCHOPS, Oct 23, 2005.

1. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Tonight!!!!!!

2. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    He totally sucked. I have high school students that could have done better than that. What is his deal? Every time I've seen him over the past year he has gotten worse with each performance.

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Tell me that 99% of high school all state band members from across this country could not have played what he just played. I just find nothing special about his playing when he is live.

4. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Right...and while Botti is performing in front of millions of people on TV you and your "99% of the HS all-staters" are siiting at home watching him...go figure! :roll: I'm getting sick and tired of "wannabees" putting this guy down. He's a fine player...get over it! :evil:

Butch

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Chet, I think it is somewhat ironic that you're defending Botti. Wasn't Chet originally promoted as a handsome, young alternative to Miles Davis? Now, I'm not trying to knock Chet Baker because I think that he really had the musical goods, but I see some of the same kind of promotion used in the marketing of Chris Botti. The difference, though, is that I really don't like Botti's music. I think it's a little too "pop," too many cliches. From what I have heard of him, he does his best to copy Mile's late style... harmon mute, heavy reliance on machines instead of live musicians...

I haven't heard him recently, certainly not tonight, I just have his first CD and I wish I could return it... But hey, the guys making a living playing music, so I can't talk...

-Jimi

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    The announcer doing the game pitched him as one of the best trumpet players around or something to that effect. I said, "Who the heck is he talking about?" When I realized it was Mr. Botti I just sort of chuckled and turned the channel.

I guess a lot of people enjoy his stuff, its like elevator music to me, not horrible and not great, just kinda 'there'. But, when you consider the 'talent' that gets pushed on us these days, ala Spears, Lopez, etc, etc. well, what can you expect.

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Was it Tony Danza that was singing on TV a few days ago and had Chris alongside? If so, I can see that some folks might like the lounge music he was leaning towards; my impresson of his solos was "weak" I'm afraid. He did a pretty good job of getting an impression of Chet's sound out but I didn't feel that he has Chet's imagination.

I have to give him credit, he has found a market even if it did remind me a bit of that soprano sax "player"... what'sisname. I hope he does well but he's got a ways to go before he attracts my dollar. I'd rather go listen to Nick D or Bart Ciampa.

8. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    I missed that but did buy & listen to his new CD/DVD. The DVD side, with 4 live performances with his quartet is a treat, IMO. All good players. I like the album as well. Very much like the last, I'll admit, but well done, again , IMO.
    gregc

9. Youri le god

Youri le god Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2004
    London, UK
    I like Chris Botti's stuff. he has a nice sound and some good lines. The best thing is that my wife quite fancies him so she doesn't mind when I stick one of his CDs on. If only she fancied Miles!!!!!! women!!!

10. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    My dad told me about his "fancy" America the Beautiful. I did not get a chance to see or hear it. Anyone know were it might be on the web?? :dontknow: