79 yr old trumpet player (6months) difficulty playing high notes in staff.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TeddyZ, Nov 8, 2015.

1. TeddyZ

TeddyZ New Friend

Oct 30, 2015

Really appreciate ate your reply. I am doing better since last reply. Bought Yamaha 11b4 mouth piece. Notes working better. Now can play f note above staff. So from d to f is very rewarding for me. I know I cannot rush this thing but I do enjoy playing again after 40 years layoff. Thank you all for responding. Amen

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi TeddyZ,
    Great news. I am assuming you are playing a Bb. If so then you are already playing the G above that F. You cannot get the F without having the G partial. If you are playing a C trumpet, and talking Concert, then you are correct. And That would explain the D and F tops you're getting.

Please keep us informed. With a range above an E (which you have now) you could pull a 4th Chair in a local community Band. Check it out, it really will help you along.
    Cheers

3. Joyful Noise

Joyful Noise New Friend

May 15, 2015
    Great thread!

4. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Sooooo simple. And so accessible for young players, too. This is excellent - thanks!

5. Glennx

Glennx Pianissimo User

Aug 16, 2009
    Ottawa
    Heck no!

Two suggestions: blow correctly, and train your aperture to be smaller.

6. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Books, books, books, and more books ... with lots of repetition one to another. IMO, if one plays a wide variety of music, one will do just as well ... and I believe find the time more enjoyable.

8. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Ed,
    Go grab a nice strong cuppa, and then read this:
    http://mphmusic.com/blog/trumpet/hey-trumpet-players-heres-a-great-freebie-for-you/

I took some time to have a look, and a read, then blew through some of this. It is a pretty concise little effort. Very worthwhile, and covers a lot of bases. I think you are not seeing through the trees, there is a forest of info on this site, and I have only just come across it today as well. It will consume some of my time for a while.

It is clearly laid out, and easy to follow.

I liked it-

9. Peter McNeill

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Sorry Ed,
    It has just given the page again, but Open the link, and then you will need to open the PDF.
    It looks like this:
    The Advancing Trumpet Player
    By Mark Hendricks
    Extra Studies Update

There is 22 pages of excellent work.
    I have a friend who has recently taken up trumpet - actually he started on Bugle this time last year, and moved to trumpet about 5 months ago. He was my Musical Director, plays reeds, but wanted to learn some Brass. He prefers to play by ear. Some of those bending exercises will suit him to a T. This little freebee will be very valuable, and I am going to take him through it with me. Good exercises and good fun.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Boy, I rarely do this and I really hesitate to do so, but Peter, for someone who has been struggling with D2 and now F2, those exercises look to me a bit troublesome and here's why. Those wide-range exercises seem to be an invitation to stretching the lips to make those intervals.