7C to 7CFL: doubling on flugel

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hagertheherald, Mar 10, 2008.

1. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    May get a flugelhorn again. Last time, my embouchre did not adjust to playing from the 7C to the 7CFL, then back again to the 7C. Wonder if it is better to get a wider rim on the flugel mouthpiece, to "trick" my embouchre into thinking there is no change. Maybe there is a chart of equivalents for those who double on flugel.....Help!:dontknow:

2. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    When you want to double, you have to practice doubling. Alternate in your practice. You have also got to adjust your mind set. Both instruments require different mental approaches.No flugel mouthpiece will feel like a trumpet mouthpiece no matter what you do.
    I have a gig where I have to change from trumpet to flugel nearly every tune. At first it was dificult but I have taught myself to change.If you practice changing, you will eliminate the mouthpiece search that will probably not solve your problem anyway.
    Hope this helps

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria

Very good points, Oz...I agree completely with your statement. Trumpet and flugel are diferent beasts. So are the mouthpieces. To me, playing flugel is more similar to playing french horn. I find that having similar inner diameter sizes helps switching. But there is trumpeter who do not think that way. So try to figure yourself what is working best for you...What is really important, is what comes out of the other end of the horn...

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You can play with brands a little to find the flugel mouthpiece you're most comfortable with, but these guys are right - it's a different beast. It shouldn't feel like a trumpet mouthpiece - it should be deeper. If you sound like a trumpet, change your approach. Way too many players tend to overblow a flugel, which makes them too bright and too sharp. Make your approach a little more gentle, and remember that flugels are for playing mellow and pretty, not upper register screaming!

5. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    I agree that you have to devote time to both horns.When I was playing both I found my trumpet playing deteriorating since I only play for an hour a day total.Just not enough time to play both.The flugle now lives in the attic.

since I only play for around an hour a day,

6. hagertheherald

hagertheherald Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Thanks everyone. I dig it. My brother has my strad flugel, my practice schedule is likewise, not enough time to practice both horns. Being an adult with responsiblities, hard to find time to practice one horn let alone two. Love the sound of the flugel on That's the Way by EW&F, played it at a gig with a bucket mute, close, but it just isn't the same...

7. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Some people like to use a flugelhorn mouthpiece with a smaller diameter than there trumpet mouthpiece. This i think would cut this problem down a little. It won't feel as big even though the cup is the same as the 7C FL. You might want to try a 10 1/2 C FL mouthpiece.

Another way to go is to play a smaller flugelhorn cup. Bob Reeves, Curry, & Warburton make medium size flugel cups to go along with their deeper counterparts. they generally have a lighter sound and a easier upper register.

My flugel mouthpiece is a Curry (old 3 size) 3FL. I am using different trumpet mouthpieces, that are actually narrower diameter. I just never got a new flugelhorn piece. This one plays and sounds so good, I never worried about it.

8. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    I too have limited time, my solution has been to just pull out the flugel and play for approx. 15% of my practice time on it.

I might warm up on trumpet, play some scales or arpeggios on flugel and then switch back for the remainder of the time I have.
    The next day I might do opposite, warm up on flugel then switch to trumpet for the remainder of the time.

This way I always concentrate on my main horn, but I am training my chops to expect the flugel at some point.

So far it seems to be working.:cool: