'84 Olympics Herald Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HinoteKU, Jul 3, 2008.

1. PhxHorn

PhxHorn New Friend

Apr 20, 2011
    I know this is an ancient thread, but I stumbled upon it via a google search for a herald case. Anyway, a bunch of the college players were from Purdue University, whose marching band at the time was directed by the late Bill Moffit (who was assisting with the direction of the heralds in some capacity). I went to Purdue the following year, and the ones who went were still talking about it for years after. I'm still in touch with a few of them. They did mention they were playing the lower parts while professionals were playing the higher ones.

Several years ago, Horntrader had one of the stamped Olympic heralds for sale for $700. At the time, a brand new one cost about $450, and I tried to talk him down, but he was of the opinion that the Olympic stamp was worth another $250. I passed on the horn, but apparently it sold, so maybe he was right. Who knows.

2. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Actually.....the college and high school kids around ME were playing lead and I as a professional got stuck on 6th!! hahaha. Many of them couldn't hit the high D's in FO,heh. We also had "non" trumpet players in the line too. A couple sax players and french horn players playing lower parts, heh.

Moffit was a wonderful guy and wrote a couple of the fanfares like "Entry Fanfare" and possibly "Coliseum Fanfare" which got cut per time. We only ended up playing TWO fanfares which of course the "Fanfare Olympique" by John Williams and "Fanfare for the Common Man", maybe Moffit wrote that but not sure as there's no name at the top of the music,etc.

I think maybe that horn was horntrader's own? As he was one of the players also. He was a funny guy wearing those big Olympic rings sunglasses at practices, heh.

$700??
    That's a total deal too as they were estimated to fetch at least $2500 a piece(w/banner,case, mouthpiece,etc) I sold mine on Ebay years ago for like $1528 to a collector. Years prior right after the event I sold 4 of the horns for $1000.00 a piece, two of which went to Rick Baptist. My commissions on two of em paid for mine,etc. Back in 1984 just as a horn, this model Blessing herald trumpet retailed for like $525 something like that,etc.

BTW.....shameless "plug" I have my uniform up for sale on Ebay if anybody's interested,:D

1984 Olympic Opening Ceremonies Herald Trumpet Uniform | eBay I'll even through in copies of the music and check out sheet if one of you grabs this,heh. :D

3. PhxHorn

PhxHorn New Friend

Apr 20, 2011
    But who pays full retail? :cool:

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Like the Olympics, this thread comes every four years! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Exactly!! :D We were lucky from the Blessing pres to be able to pay wholesale at the time. :)

6. Phillydawg

Phillydawg New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    SoCal
    Plus the fact that this event was almost 30 years ago too eh? ROFL

Last edited: May 19, 2012