8yr old Geoffrey Gallante

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MJ, May 14, 2009.

1. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I don't think trickg has any need to be jealous.

Anyway, he's merely citing the countless number of child prodigies who got burnt out. It's not too uncommon to see a kid getting burnt out.

Also, whether or not this kid has his own musical interpretation, it sounds good. All trickg's saying is that it seems as if the kid is just imitating his trumpet heroes.

To me, it all seems so practiced and scripted instead of from the soul, but maybe it's because he's so young that it's pure joy I have yet to see.

2. Alasdair

Alasdair New Friend

Dec 21, 2010
    Lowther Hills, Scotland
    At that age almost everything is mimickery or based on immediate influence. It's human nature, yet to be able to play so well at such a young age is nothing to be sniffed at or dismissed lightly.

Even if he does give it up in later childhood, I would be flabergasted if he didn't return to it later ... how many aged returners are there on here? I'm back playing with intention after an effective break of about 15 years ... not that I'm any good!

Jealous? Hell yes!! :)

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Me too. I'd love to mimick my favorite trumpet heroes...

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    He won't be REALLY good until he puts in his 10,000 hours! ;-)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's all I was saying, is that the kid may get burnt out and lose interest.

As for being jealous? No - I've done my fair share of gigging over the years.

The kid is good - I thought I acknowledged that - and he's doing some pretty astounding stuff for his age, but it's one thing to be able to play a handful of performance pieces and quite another to be able to gig functionally with hundreds of pieces of music in multiple ensembles of different genres. The kid may get there and surpass all of us - in fact, I'd be really happy if he did, but he's not there yet.

6. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion

The point is NOT that at that age he is mimicking anybody!

The point is at that age he plays better than most of the people on these forums who are questioning the kids ability to form his own style of trumpet playing!

Then we get those who say he is so practiced and scripted.......huh....duh.....

The kid is 8 years old for crying out loud...

How many of you get up in front of a crowd and play everything from memory???

Now lets get to the countless ## of child prodigies who burn out...

For those of you who say the kid is mimicking somebody else...thats just a blatant cop out. As adults we are all guilty of that.

Finally -- Don`t you wish you could mimic these other trumpet players as well as this kid??

I bet you can`t name on one hand child prodigies who played the trumpet who are not playing trumpet now.

So lets just be real clear its easy for us as adults to find fault with this kid.
    Why?
    Perhaps because we wish we had the same opportunities that this kid has?
    Perhaps at 8 years old the sky is the limit for this kid and we as adults wasted our opportunity to be like this kid.

Why put this kid down....

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    what I find most amazing is the vibrato and his sense of groove. Those are things that you just can't emulate. This kid not only has decent chops, he never comes in late. Copycat or not, this kid swings. Timing is something that lets you even sort out a lot of college students!

Chapeau!

8. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I think it safe to assume that I am the only person commenting who actually has performed with
    Geoffrey.
    Last summer, he was featured on one of our summer concerts in Mt. Prospect, Il.
    Firstly, he is a very normal 9 year old boy with a terrific curiosity about things in general.
    Secondly, he plays a darn good piano, too.
    Thirdly, he has chops to play just about anything he wants to. He plays the tunes as he wants them to sound. He doesn't try to imitate Harry James or anyone else. As Rowuk says his timing, vibrato, and musical sense is way beyond his age. He did not play much above the staff, but
    that is being wise. Top end will come when he is ready.
    The last thing he played on the concert was the first part on Bugler's Holiday with me on second and our second chair on third. He played it like a veteran with a very good double tongue and style. When we first rehearsed it, I thought we would have to lay back a bit to keep from dominating the sound. Guess what? He can play quite loudly, with a great big mature sound, and we just let him lead.
    Lastly, he is a very nice young man. His favorite TV show? F-Troop and he knows the words to the theme music.
    I thoroughly enjoyed working with him and so did the rest of the band.
    Rich T.

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Rich - Thanks for the perspective. I have sent links of several of his youtube clips to my grandsons to give them some inspiration about what they can aspire to be. I just hope it doesn't discourage them as much as it does me (I'll never be that good).

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dude, dial it back a bit.

For starters, I didn't put the kid down - I said he had ability, but that I thought it sounded like he was mimicking what he'd heard. No real issue there - most people do that to some degree. My comment was that at 8 years old, he pretty much has to be doing a fair amount of that, although I could be wrong. I've been wrong before.

As for me being jealous, I'm not one of those armchair experts who posts a lot and owns fancy horns but can't really play them in reality. I've gigged and recorded, and made my living playing music, albeit for the US Military rather than out in the "real world" of the working musician. As it is, in the last few years I mainly play horn lines in an upscale wedding band, but I do the occasional big band and church job too.

As for whether or not I could mimic those other trumpet players as well as this kid does, it might sound kind of arrogant, but yeah, I could if that's what I wanted to do.

Regarding the burn out factor, no one knows about the countless child prodigies (and it's not limited to trumpet, but to any endeavor) who burn out and quit - how would we know who they are? How many of them get any kind of press before they burn out or lose interest? It seems kind of silly for you to demand a list or a number.

Getting back to young Geoffry, again, my hat is off to the kid because I think he is quite talented - a point I apparently didn't make clearly enough in my first post to this thread. I hope he continues and I hope that he continues to improve.