a 1924 Conn 28b for $150 .. deal? no deal?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by coolerdave, Jun 22, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey guys I am heading out to check out a 1924 Conn 28b .. and plan on paying $150 .. it seems fair if it is in good shape? yes..no .. I have about an hour to change my mind

2. veery715

veery715 Fortissimo User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    YES! Expect: no pinky ring, possible A slide either stright or rotary or both. 28B is a LARGE bore (.485) horn, unusually large and not very common.

Pinky ring, if present would have been installed later.

Hope it's a good one!!!

3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    THANK YOOOOUUU!!!
    will let you know

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    NAAAH!! But I'll buy it!;-) Go for it!:thumbsup:

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    -I now know the difference!!!!!!

Huh? There's two different 28b's? Mine's a '54 Connstellation 28b and is a .459 bore that goes to .480 at the slides...Ahhh, that's right, the non-Connstellation 28b is the "Concert Grand." That's a good deal on a very sought after horn!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I picked it up .. has a brace that needs to be resolded and the bell was a little off but it really is pretty nice... only silver was worn off wear the left thumb touches the valve case ... valves could use a cleaning but it plays sweet..
    The inner bell looks like it was gold plated at one time so it is a faint gold look .. also didn't have the A rotor slide .. she said she would look around and see if she could find it.
    Thanks for your help everyone...

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    How's the engraving? Those had some really nice art on them.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Engraving is in great shape ... I tried to post a pic but after 15 minutes of getting thrown out I threw in the towel. Speaking of the engraving I was wondering how some people get such great pics.. I keep getting relections of the window.. me holding the camera.. where's Dale when you need him.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I just found out what one of these horns sell for..HOLY CRAP ... all I can say is that I am glad I like how it plays ... alot of people said the big bore takes alot of air... I didn't feel that at all. Maybe if you try to get the horn to break loose and sound like a light weight horn ... it actually feel easier to move around than my Strad ...
    I am very excited... I will post pics... when I can figure out how to

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    DAWG!!! $150 is theft. You should be arrested!!!

Welcome to the Big Bore Club! Actually, mine plays really sweet, but I find I can only play it for about half an hour before I give out and have to move back to my .458.

1925 28B Concert Grand
    [​IMG]