A Bach Strad for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by CaptainAddy, Jun 6, 2011.

1. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Hey gang- inquisitive me again. I was wondering what kind of effect playing a Strad exclusively as a beginning would have? Would it be detrimental to one's playing? Will they not have learned proper embouchure support, breathing, etc.? I ask this because my kid played my '85 Strad until he was in 8th grade at which point I got him his own. Would he have had a much harder time playing the trumpet than the other kids with student horns?

Thanks,

Addison

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I learned to play on a late 40s professional horn. My niece was handed an early 50s professional horn.

There's no reason your son would necessarily have any problems... and you would have known by now if he did.

Tom

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    No problem. I started by son on an Olds Super, a pro horn - he has sine moved to a strad ( silver and shiny, unlike the Super)- always makes tops in honors bands etc. Personally, I think the pro horn would give your son an advantage, if anything. About the only thing I might be careful of is not starting a really young kid on a large or extra large bore horn.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    +1 I am sure you would have seen him struggle .. here's a random thought... the Bachs are pretty free blowing ... if you have some cash to burn you might also consider getting him a tighter horn ... could use it in marching band.... and open up his eyes to different possibilities ...IMHO

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I am more for giving beginners (at least for the first 2 years) a quality student horn. I feel that they are more rugged, are better in tune when played with lousy breath support and because of the tolerances, the slides/valves are less likely to stick. They are less finicky with various mouthpieces.

Once breathing and basic sound production are up to snuff, then the added resonance of a pro horn can offer sonic benefits.

That student horn can end up being the marching band horn later.

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

As long as the student takes proper care of a good horn they are better off with one.

Why play a choked, out of tune, horn with leaky valves and an inferior tone quality?

Answer:

Because it is dangerous to the horn to be in the hands of a beginner.

It can be done though. If a kid is super responsible and motivated it's great incentive to reward them with a nice horn early on.

7. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm a believer in starting any ambitious student with the most in-tune, resonant equipment possible and then get a good "personal articles policy" with your homeowners carrier to cover risk of damage and loss. If the student is half-hearted, then anything will do. Also, don't overlook the quality of the mouthpiece.

8. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I am in agreement with rowuk here. I started out with a Bach TR300 in 5th grade and eventually got a Strad in 9th grade for concert band while the TR300 became my horn for marching band. By that time I had the fundamentals of playing (air support, etc...) down to where going to the Strad was a minor adjustment (and a much appreciated improvement!).

But as for the original question and any detrimental affects starting on a Strad would have had, I believe it would have a detrimental affect at first, while the student is learning how much air support is needed, etc... But it certainly wouldn't be a lasting effect.

9. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I'm missing something. How would playing a pro horn (I'm assuming it is, I've never played one) be a detriment to a beginner?

10. NFS_87

NFS_87 Pianissimo User

Jan 25, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    A pro horn can take more air support to play well and just be overall more 'touchy' (due to a larger bore size, tolerances, etc..) so it would be more difficult for a student to produce a good tone with one, and hence the student could get discouraged quickly.