A/Bb dual key horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sal, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Did the keyed trumpet typically have one normally open key near the end of the bell that would lower the pitch 1/2 step when closed, or was that a more "modern" development on instruments pitched in Bb and Eb? The keyed bugle I used to play had one, so every key but that one was an ascending key.

True Tone likes this.
  2. Voltrane

Voltrane Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Paris
    That is what I call a horn! I want one!

Capture d’écran 2019-01-07 à 19.38.14.png

Brassman64, Dupac and True Tone like this.
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sax got no professional traction in his life. His Saxhorn was a bigger abomination than the common keyed trumpets. He simply came into the picture too late and did not provide what the world was looking for.

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The trumpet is different than the keyed bugle in many ways.

Brassman64 and True Tone like this.
  5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    That's the truth. His main contribution to the instrument world was the saxophone, and we're still stuck with those things...:lol:

Sturmbill and Dennis78 like this.
  6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If I am not mistaken, his saxophones really are insignificant. The competitors won!

7. True Tone

True Tone Piano User

Aug 16, 2015
    Alabama
    While I'm pretty sure you're joking here, Sax's competitors to his saxophone didn't do anywhere near as well-how many sarrusophones do you see every day? Plus, he and Buffet also greatly improved the bass clarinet in the 1830s.
    While he wasn't really commercially successful, (he went bankrupt a few times) he was pretty influential-think of what people like the Distins did with his saxhorns! (a bassoonist I know online calls him the most influential individual for the 19th century wind band, although I don't think any specific person can be the most influential)

Also, Arban played on a cornet from Sax, and worked with him some, so I assume his instruments saw some professional use, although I've also heard a lot of most of the musical world of 19th century Paris hating Sax...
    (source on Sax with Arban: http://abel.hive.no/trompet/arban/ )

Still though, unlike the woodwinds of his, his brass instruments aren't entirely groundbreaking-they're based mainly on a concept of making existent ones into a family instead.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Jolter, Brassman64 and Dale Proctor like this.
  8. iiipopes

iiipopes Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2014
    Really? Then why are all of the British-style Brass Bands outfitted with what are essentially the descendants of his original Perinet-valved saxhorns?

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Really? What makes you think that the idea of BBB instruments originated with Sax? The origin of british brass banding was in the very early 1800s (1809) before Sax instruments were even available. He lost his ass in lawsuits because his piston instruments were not his original designs.

True Tone likes this.
  10. iiipopes

iiipopes Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2014
    He may have had his troubles, but his influence was great. I never said he originated BBb or even Eb instruments. But he did have a system of instruments from soprano to bass. Have you ever played brass band music from earlier in the century? Notice in this page of the score of Alfred's Colonel Bogey March, which is typical of the period, the middle brass parts are marked "Eb Saxhorn" for the tenor horn, etc., not "Tenor horn" or "French horn." Yes, Sax had a great influence on brass instruments.
    https://musescore.com/parpul3/colonel-bogey

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    True Tone likes this.