A/Bb dual key horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sal, Jan 5, 2019.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, I would rather (and will) just go practice. I was not sarcastic. I do fail to understand why disagreeing with you results in off topic criticism.

Have a great day.

2. iiipopes

iiipopes Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2014
    Even though your posts went beyond discussion to summary condemnation of the point expressed, your statement that your intent was not to not be sarcastic is accepted; your apology is accepted. Thank you for your well wishes. I also need to go practice for upcoming gigs. Please be more circumspect going forward knowing that everyone who posts in any forum, bulletin board, blog, etc., regards a "Moderator" avatar in a similar manner and with similar expectations on the internet as they do a judge in a court of law, even part time city court traffic ticket judges, and have similar expectations as to demeanor and expression. Have a great day also.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The written word often lacks any clues to intent or inflection. Emojis help a bit, but still there are misunderstandings that many times wouldn't happen in a face to face conversation. And,...people are generally more civil in person...;).

4. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Here we go again. Somebody hand me my popcorn bowl, please...

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. N1684T

N1684T Forte User

Jun 28, 2016
    Wow. I am in trouble if i need to conduct myself as if in a court of law.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Every once in a while someone wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and a thread gets off track. No one is in “danger” and Dale is absolutely right - the same context live would never have had the same reaction.

Behavior is a very person specific and I am often amused by those that expect that their personal netiquette view applies to anyone else.

In any case, considering the quality of material available, it is easy to make Saxes story more romantic than it is. Fortunately, there are pictures and some good research out there. We just need to find them and be open enough to consider the source. The distinction between a “brass band” and a “silver band” hasn’t been mentioned yet.

I have not been able to find very much information on “A” pitched instruments for brass band however. Cornet solo material in A and Bb yes, Brassband no. The brass band switch from keyed to valved instruments as well as the development of pitch is fascinating - especially the parallel developments (to England) in continental Europe and the United States. Do we want to include cornettos and sackbutts in our brass band scenarios? Here we have real transposition issues due to cornetto pitch.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  8. Jolter

Jolter Piano User

Apr 1, 2009
    Sweden
    I suppose that this post, together with the info about preferred keys for strings vs brasses, gives the solution for the OP's question.

I also did a stint in a parlor band (strings, woodwinds, two trumpets, a trombone, drum kit, piano) and some pieces were written for trumpet in A. I think they were from the 20's and 30's.

The director was nice enough to provide transposed parts in Bb, but he needn't have bothered. The pieces were virtually unplayable on a Bb trumpet with five or six sharps in every tune. The trombone and clarinet players weren't happy either, but the flutist just shrugged!

(The clari player brought his A clarinet to the next rehearsal, but sadly this was before I got my A/Bb/C Besson.)

9. scottfsmith

scottfsmith Piano User

Jul 2, 2014
    Maryland
    If anyone has pressing questions about wind band history, they are probably answered in a massive 13-volume tome by David Whitwell, "The History and Literature of the Wind Band and Wind Ensemble". I think I have three volumes of it which covers baroque classical and 19th century. Its for serious band nerds, lots of minute detail on the politics behind certain kinds of bands, instrumentation, keys of course, etc etc etc.