A beginner's inquiry to instrument repair

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by RedEagle05, Mar 19, 2016.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

My personal belief is that real help is NOT posting factoids. The art of instrument repair is exactly the same as the art of playing. Learning it is a process. True help is starting with basics. A good teacher will insist on process.

Granted, there are plenty of DIY hacks for just about anything. I am greatful that we do have people preaching process and offering food for life instead of "quick" patches. There is nothing wrong with experimenting, but if one asks for help at a specialized forum, my belief is that they should get specialized help.

2. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    RedEagle just sayin but it's Mr Hunter, I myself picked up an old Chinese double horn my teacher needed a little simple rotary valve job so yeah, start out with little things. Like freeing stuck slides, that's what I did on my 50usd Holton cornet. Anyways welcome to the DIY universe you will learn a lot! I recently got into morse coding so busy with that as well....

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    You have some experience in metal working, if you have access to a lathe you can make a simple tool for removing dents in the 2nd valve slide.

From a Bearing supplier purchase a few 3/8" or 10mm steel balls, these should be only a few cents each, take 8-10" of 1/4" steel rod, face each end and drill with a center drill to almost the full diameter. Silver solder to balls. bend one end to approx 30 degrees 3/8" from ball. Or buy one from ebay for $60.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    To BBM:

-.-- --- ..- -- ..- ... - -... . .- --. . -. .. ..- ... --..-- --- .-. .- .--. --- - . -. - .. .- .-.. .... --- .-. -. -... .-.. --- .-- . .-.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    See if you can help out during the busy Summer season (school repairs, rental prep) at one of these shops. Observation plus hands-on is wonderful training.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    AAAAHHHHH! Morse taper!

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    -.-. .-.. . ...- . .-.