A better trumpet?......Really?

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by filhodedeus, Sep 12, 2005.

1. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    If you had a student who was moving quickly to that elusive "next level", and they had a beginner to lower intermediate horn....can you see where this is going?

From a professional perspective, what line(s) of trumpet(s) would you recommend to a person in the above mentioned position? Intonation, ease of play in all registers, construction quality, etc....

For the sake of ease, the limit on the purchase would be in the neighborhood of $3000.

If you could list your opinions and why, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Hey there! :D

There are many great playing horns that fall into that category and price range, although they would all need to be play tested to find the right one:

Calicchio
    Schilke
    Conn V1
    Bach Strad
    Yamaha Xeno
    Kanstul
    Wild Thing

That list is by no means comprehensive - those are just the trumpets that I would start with.

3. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    Thanks for the advice....

My main problem is I am in Brazil and don't have the opportunity to test drive many of these great horns.

I currently have a '69 Bach 37, but she needs some loving repairs. I took an unscheduled break from playing, but am now getting things back in order.

I am looking for something that is a little more responsive in the upper registers, but still has a full, rich sound. This is why I was seriously looking into Calicchio.

Because of this unusual dynamic, I am at a loss for options. This is why I posted the thread.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Good for the upper register?

Calicchio is probably going to be good for that, as are the Wild Thing and the Schilkes.

I have no clue what to do about your situation - I take it for granted that I live less than an hour away from one of the largest brass instrument distributors on the East Coast of the US: Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. Your situation clues me in to just how lucky I am.

Are you able to have horns shipped to you from the Woodwind and the Brasswind in South Bend, Indiana? If so, that might be a good place to start, and then just research, research, research!

After doing a quick perusal of what the WW&BW has to offer, you have

Bach
    B&S
    Besson
    Calicchio
    Conn
    Getzen
    Holton
    Jupiter (Tribune model)
    Kanstul
    LeBlanc
    Taylor
    Schilke
    Stomvi

to choose from that all fall within your $3000 window of price. And you really can't completely discount anything on that list either - each one of those makers brings at least one horn to the table that is better than average, even if they might not be what you are looking for.

You should give them a look:

www.wwbw.com

Also, if you call them, I've always had really good luck finding someone knowledgeable about the products that can help to guide you in a decision, although I don't know if they ship to Brazil.

Good luck!

5. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    Thanks for the tip. I lived in southwest Ohio and utilized wwbw alot. They do ship here for a reasonable shipping fee. The problem I have found with them is that many of the higher end horns (and some mouthpiece sizes) are on a waiting list from 6 - 12 months. In that time I plan a trip to the US and can just buy one from a dealer when I'm there.

Thanks again for your offer to help.

Ed....any thoughts?

6. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I'm not Ed (!!) but if you'll forgive me weighing in a little:

If the Taylors are in your price range, look at Eclipse (personally I far prefer them!) From what I have experienced of them (which is admittedly very limited) they do exactly what you're asking for; more responsive in the top end than a Bach would be, and with a big resonant sound from top to bottom.

A much cheaper option might be to buy a MK rounded tuning slide for your Bach strad. Not sure where you might get one in Brazil, but I know Will Spencer stocks them ( http://www.willspencer.org )

7. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    Thanks for the imput Jack.

I want to check in Goiánia, capital city of my state here, to see if they have anything. I may be going to listen in on a clinic by one of the best trumpet players here in Brazil. A friend of mine here has known this guy for years. I am sure there will be enough trumpet players there to answer the "Where can I get...." question. I'm not that familiar with some of the manufacturers here in Brazil. From the ones I've seen, I'm not extremely impressed.

I don't want to use a broad brush...I have alot to learn of what is available here. Just not impressed with what I have seen up to this point.

Anyone is free to weigh in on this discussion.

Loads of thanks.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    If you are just "getting back into things", why not send your Bach out and get it overhauled and perhaps customized a bit (new leadpipe, etc)? I'm sure that with about $1,000 spent on it you'd have a horn that would be quite superlative for your purposes at this stage of your comeback? Guys like Charlie Melk, Chicago Brassworks, Rich Ita, Eclipse trumpets, Will Spencer (these last two in UK) could give you just what you are looking for.

In a year or five when you're ready for your next big move you will then have an even better idea of what to buy?

Just a thought....given your comments about the shortage of horns to test play.

9. filhodedeus

filhodedeus New Friend

Sep 12, 2005
    Brazil
    I'm afraid I was a little vague on the timeline.

I have considerable commitments and cannot be without a horn. I have played for 22 yrs and took the break beginning in '97 and ending in '99. I have been playing "again" for 4 years now. This was the main purpose for the OP.

Forgive me for my lack of clarity.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!