A big breath.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by turtlejimmy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Things can get complicated with the trumpet if you let them.

A big breath for example. I've read in here that it should expand the chest, it should not expand the chest, it should push out the stomach, it should not push out the stomach. And other details, some say do them, some say don't, some say think about it, some say don't think about it. Some advocate visualizations, like a hole in your back or a string protruding from your head:stars: So much to think about. It's no wonder I can't breathe.:lol:

My private teacher is a master of simplicity. I asked him about it at my last lesson ..... HOW do I get a better, bigger, faster breath??? HOW???? He showed me 4 pictures, in which the guy in the first picture had his head back, mouth open, looking like he was howling at the moon. I asked what the heck the guy was doing.

Answer: He's taking a breath like a drowning man.

Okay, that's more like it.

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    This is EXACTLY what is written on a hand-out I have from Rainer Schmidt who used to teach trumpet in TO. It says to "puch the air in" and take a "drowning mans' breath". However, a really neat visualization that was given here on TM by Markie about a week ago was to imagine a hole in your back and you have to inhale hard and fast to suck a tennis ball inside that hole. When I do this I get the side ribs expanding. This gets even easier if I keep my "chest up" as commanded by Claude Gordon.

The air and energy stored by such actions then get used when the lips touch the mouthpiece and the notes just come out. The diaphram which is just supports the air until you actually have to use the abdominals to push the air towards the end as the air starts running out. There are so many ways to try to describe this and that is why it is good to have a teacher who can help show you.

BrotherBACH

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    There are many ways to "skin a cat" (or raccoon in your case :lol:). The fact that many well respected and accomplished players do it differently should give you solace knowing you don't have to adhere to ONE methodology or the other to reach your goal. Find what works for you and master it.

4. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Yeah, a big breath gives you a lot to work with .... With any specific area of trumpet study, I'm trying to find the ONE simplest idea to go with. I can't do that visualization of Markie's (hole in back size of tennis ball) because I already have a tennis ball in another visualization ... don't want to mix up the visuals.

Smf. urdm odky,rin[p (sorry ...)

And yes, BrotherBACH, it is good to have a teacher who can demonstrate. When I suck up air like I'm drowning, there is quite a loud noise that goes with it .... My instructor can get just as big a breath, faster and quieter. (have to work on that) Having a good quality, close-up demonstration is good for just about everything as you'e developing.

Turtle

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's simply biological! Inhale as much as you can, expanding your lungs, with a hand pressed lightly over your abs and you will feel your thorax innards enlarge outward. The lungs press against the diaphragm as presses against all below. Nothing new in the world of science yet. Same effect as if you attempt to squash a balloon ... the maximum perimeter enlarges.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    One of the most important parts is getting your body ready so it is not as much in the way when you inhale. If you do not have a relaxed stance, you can ab your way to a hernia and still not get it. Getting the spine lined up so that the skeleton is not "leaning" on the lungs is crucial to getting that big breath with a minimum amount of energy. The other advantage of proper body use is that we need less energy to stand up and stay up = more energy for playing.

I would probably not advocate gasping for air. I need to breathe in a way that does not disturb my face - quite often we simply do not have a big enough rest to let the air flow in easily. Excess body motion increases the chance of not getting the next lick.

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks, Rowuk. Good not to overdo it. Also, I have a slight phobia around water so I don't want to stress myself out too much with a really vivid idea of drowning.:shhh:

But the image, in general, got me into a fast big breath. WHY breathing is the hardest part of trumpet playing for me is still a mystery.

Turtle

8. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Rowuk is right. I have learned the hard way that the practice room is so much different than the performance room. Part of the learning process is learning how to take this deep breath within the context of normal playing. I encourage everyone to please the visit the following website. This teacher really explains how to take the breath and a process to teach you how to make it natural.

I am only human and when I am nervous before playing in front of people, all these wonderful things I learn and do in the practice room go out the window. I guess that is the experience that comes from playing in public; it is irreplacable.

yamaha trumpet artist greg spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook

BrotherBACH

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What most students don't understand,is that when a teacher tells a student to gasp a big breath like a drowning man ,it's just until the student gets used to filling up with enough air. Once the student learns this,they should able to take a big relaxed breath.