A bit of perspective

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by tpter1, Dec 20, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    This week I took my HS jazz band to a couple places to play. One was a nursing home, the other an intensive care facility.

I have done the nursing home gig for about 4 years now; I always have the students interact with the residents when we finish playing. (Greet them, talk with them, etc. For some of the residents, it makes their week). Yesterday was no exception to that; however, I met my lead tenor player in the hall outside the rec room where we played, and she looked rather upset about something. I spoke with her and asked what was bothering her. One of the residents, she said, began crying and said she wanted to go home. It turns out this lady was 100 years old. We talked a bit about the things this person must have seen over the course of her life; she was a living history book, and has had a rich life that is longer than most of us can expect, unfortunately.

Today, we played at a facility that houses people with extreme disabilities or severe deformities. They were so happy we were there! Clapping, shouting joyful things, laughing, squealing with delight, hitting a tambourine.

I wanted to share this because it reminds me of how fortunate we are here; of how precious this gift we have is, and how short it is; how we need to treasure it by sharing it.

I hope my students got that, too.

Band directors...take a select small group out to these facilities if you have never done so. Get a quartet, quintet, jazz band, whatever to go out and share our gift with them. You and your students will reap a long lasting reward for your efforts.

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    That is a wonderful thing you did for the audience and the students. It is a win-win situation and that is why it is so wonderful. Our band director in high school did this regularly with our jazz band. We played a LOT of big band charts and they were soooooo much fun. I am surprised that more band directors aren't turned onto the idea of doing this. You are setting a great example in your neck of the woods.

3. RG111

RG111 Piano User

Nov 12, 2003
    Glenn,

It struck me while reading your post that your students are blessed to have you as their teacher!

Roy Griffin

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I'll second this for sure Glenn! :cool:

Reading you post brought back some memories for me. My grandmother spent the last 4 years of her life in a nursing home. I would go up there to see her, she of course being so proud of me as she was, would let everyone know that I'm her oldest grandson.

I remember one lady accross the hall from my grandmother got a "Official" congrats from President Bush on her 101st birthday which her family framed and placed over her bed.

Our seniors are wonderful people, and it's sad to see them every day knowing that they are dying, however what joy you can bring to their hearts with a small ensamble and some 40's music. Boogie woogie, bugle boy of company B anyone!

God Bless you Glenn! Keep up the good work I would have killed for a music teacher like you!

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I could not agree more. We have played lots of places over m career. It was great to read you post knowing how much your kids got from that experience.