A Blog on trumpet repair and maintenance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by trumpetsplus, Jun 29, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Hey guys how about getting Ivan's rep points up :thumbsup:

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OK!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I think it's fantastic that you're sharing this.

Thanks!

4. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Trumper repair is fairly easy, the hard part is self confidence in approaching the job and thinking about what it is your about to do.

Knowing your limitations is advantageous, example if youve never hit a trumpet with a hammer, then dont expect your first dent repair job to be perfect. Once you overcome that basic hurdle, the rest is easy, and is just a case of repetition

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Here is another article. Once again, if you like to see it in context with pictures, here is the link:
    ??

Otherwise, here is the article:

Whether you are a collector maintaining your own trumpets, or a teacher helping with your students’ horns, I would like you to understand that the instrument that has come to you for help has already been damaged! The best you can do is help remedy the situation.

The ship has already sailed; you cannot turn the clock back! The trumpet will always remember this incident.

When you work on your trumpet, please remember that the tubing is very thin (anywhere from 0.016” upwards), and can be very soft depending on the specifications of the designer. Your trumpet is very easy to dent and distort. For instance, NEVER remove or replace the slides unless all the valves are in place. The act of pulling slides can put enough pressure on the valve casings to push them out of round, and stop the valves from working smoothly. (Don’t ask me how I learned this!). Having the valves in place gives the trumpet added rigidity.

Here is the easiest advice I can possibly give:

Q. How do I remove a stuck mouthpiece?
    A. If the mouthpiece does not come out with the normal force used by a player, the only method that cannot cause further major damage to the instrument is proper use of a puller. There are several designs of these in the marketplace – take your pick. My preference is the Bobcat.

A mouthpiece puller and the understanding of how to use it, is essential equipment for Band Directors and other teachers who predominantly teach school age students. If a mouthpiece puller is not available, take the instrument to where there is one.

So, why does a mouthpiece get stuck?

The taper on a trumpet mouthpiece is a Morse #1 taper which is used in machining to stop cutting tools like drills from spinning when they are drilling holes. The taper is designed to hold, not to fall out.

If one half of the taper is dirty, then when the mouthpiece is inserted, the dirt can embed and hold the two parts together. If the mouthpiece shank is dented or out of round, then pushing it into the receiver can spring the dent so that the mouthpiece sticks harder than the original insertion force would suggest.

You will hear a lot more about dirt in future articles. Some technicians would say that the initial cause of over 90% of all mechanical repairs is dirt. Dirt is very often the cause of sticking valves, sticking slides, and poor solder joints.

6. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Here is a question for moderators/administrators.

I will be posting several articles about trumpet repair. Should each one be a new thread, or should they all be part of a new thread?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Make them individual otherwise with all of the comments, they will be unreadable. We can sticky them

8. trumpetsplus

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Tks