A bow to Eb Cornetist

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jul 1, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I bow to all Eb Cornetist... everywhere!! :worthy:

I was asked to sit in on the Eb Cornet chair for two 4th of July concerts this weekend with a local Brass Band...

OMG.... to all of you Haydn, Hummel and Neruda Eb players outhere... you need to experience sitting in the Eb chair of a brass band... you will never be intimidated by any of those concertos again.

I humbly salute you Brits (and those few others) that have mastered Brass Band Eb Cornet playing... :worthy:
    To spend an evening playing between G - C on a Eb is a depressing experience for a comeback player...

I'm hoping the audience at both venues will have just left a great barbeque and drank lots of beer.... if you know what I mean!

Interesting note... I had been practicing the Stars and Stripes (piccolo) Solo at many diff tempos... going from single tongue to double... depending on speed... then we finally play it last night and the tempo was so, so, so slow that I thought I was going to DIE... it just goes to show ya... just when you think you have all the angles covered... there is a surprise... I never expected a slow, slow tempo!

2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Eb cornet playing is not for everyone, but there are a couple of "tricks" that really help matters.
    The main one is to know when not to play. In much of the brass band repertoire you are doubling the solo cornet line. If you have a good solo cornet section, why bother? Let them do the work so you are ready for your big moments. Knowledge of when to take time out and when you are a necessary player comes with experience, just the same as it comes with experience in the orchestra - knowing when you have to be to the fore and when you are a colour of the orchestra, rather than the dominating force.

The other is the instrument/mouthpiece combination. If you find one of these that works well, the game is made a great deal easier.

Was "Stars & Stripes" with the brass band? If so, did you do the Philip Sparke arrangement? I love his additional flourish to the end of the piccolo solo (a run up to high C, on the sop!) - a typical soprano cornet player's moment for showing what he/she (one of the UK's finest soprano players is female) is made of.

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    I agree. Eb cornet playing isn't for everyone. In fact, I've yet to come across an Eb cornet even half-decently in tune throughout its range, compared to Eb trumpets.

Indeed here's a question to those of you who have played a Schilke Eb cornet. Am I the only one who thinks the middle G sharp is considerably flat? Every Schilke Eb I've played (at least 4) have had this defect to my ears. Probably my playing's fault, but I'd be interested to know if others have experienced this.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Dave - if you ever get the chance (and the money) try a Blackburn soprano - simply astonishing.

I own a Getzen (due to picking it up very cheap) and have played an assortment of Schilkes and Besson sops, the Blackburn is the only one I have enjoyed playing. If I was regularly playing sop with a band at the moment, I would have one.

You are not along with the Schilke problem G# - I only managed it using 3rd only and extending the slide - in tune, but a swine to achieve within quicker passages.
    The Schilke soprano is, in my view, the second most over-rated instrument in the trumpet/cornet player's world - the first place going to the Schilke piccolo.

One thing to point out - don't try the Blackburn if you are feeling poor :lol:

5. Dave Payn

Dave Payn New Friend

Jan 20, 2004
    Isle of Arran, Scotland
    Yes, I've heard good things about Blackburn sops but have never tried one. I must admit, whilst I agree that Schilke sops are wildly over-rated, I always liked the Schilke picc, personally. ('What????' I hear you say?) Still, it's a long time since I played one!

6. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    TRUMPET MIKE,

Thanks for your tips. The mouthpiece combo has been a struggle. I'm playing on a Schilke and it was recommended I try the same mp I was using on my P5-4... that was a horrible combination. Although our (American) Brass band plays quite bright, that mp on the Eb made it sound just like a picc. Anyway, I odered a DW S and have really liked it so far. It has (of course) taken a little of the ease in the upper register compared to the picc mp... but after only 3 weeks it seems to be making up ground.

The gentleman playing solo cornet was the previous Eb player and has most of the parts well marked of when the Eb is in unision with the front row. And you are right, taking a break is the only way to survive!

In Schilke's defense... (and I must say I've never played a Blackburn Soprano... )... "over rated:... yes, maybe... but that word sometimes sounds like a slam... and it should not be. Schilke makes some fine horns... if over rated, then it's only because a few players can't keep perspective. I still think it's still a superior horn. New builders take from the past and make improvements. When both the P5-4 and the Schilke Eb came out they were an improvement over what was being used.

The Stars and Stripes arrangement is by Ralph Pearce. It also has the run to the high C at the end... right now it's at 60%... :cry:
    Thank God this is a temp position for me... I prefer STEAK to GROUND BEEF... and lately that's what my lips have been like playing the Eb... ground beef!

I appreciate all the input. Like I said, it's a tough chair... and you Brits have this Brass Band thing down!!

Great weekend to all!

7. bobbyafs

bobbyafs New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    luke afb, arizona
    ok i have never played an Eb trumpet, but my senior year in high school i played Neruda Eb on my Bb, and played the dickins out of it i might add. This is my most favorite piece probably will be my most favorite piece. Now my question is should i try it on an Eb, is easier or just probably better tone. Clue me in folks i have been gone for too long.

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I used to play soprano cornet in a brass band.
    Its very good for your chops.
    I approached it like Piccolo trumpet playing rather than Eb trumpet.
    You need to blow a bit more gently and pace yourself.

9. Adrian_H

Adrian_H Pianissimo User

Dec 4, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Good advice. You definately need to back off the soprano more, otherwise I found the sound to break up quite easily.