A call to arms

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by c.nelson, Jun 7, 2007.

1. c.nelson

c.nelson Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Alberton, Montana USA
    I am a street musician.
    I don't pretend to make a living, however I consider it my primary occupation.
    I have performed all over the western states and have one profound observation.
    There are a lot of people out there, particularly children,
    THAT HAVE NEVER SEEN A REAL PERSON,PLAYING A REAL INSTRUMENT,
    IN REAL TIME!

This is a call to arms, my friends.
    Take your horns, go outside, and PLAY FOR THE PEOPLE.
    Try to find somewhere there are children and try to make glorious sound,regardless of your skill level.
    The musical seeds planted may help to remediate our decaying western culture.

Truly,
    Craig Nelson

2. Billy Trumpet

Billy Trumpet New Friend

Mar 24, 2007
    New York
    Sometimes I play at lunchtime next to a playground.
    The kindergarten teacher has marched the kids up to watch me play. It's beautiful to see their fascination with the trumpet.

3. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    Craig makes a great point. Kids today (I sound like my parents) are often too busy playing video games or text messaging to even know which instrument is which. At my show, children come down to the egde of the stage, look down and can't believe that there are actually live people playing the music. Then, they'll usually point to a trombone and call it a tuba, or a clarinet and call it a flute. They just don't know any better. Sure, parenting is a big part of it, but we (as musicians) can do our part to educate today's public.

Bravo to Craig & Billy for teaching kids just by being out there playing their instruments. This is something we should all do more of.

Tony

Last edited: Jun 8, 2007