A Career in Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Passion, Apr 9, 2010.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I had a very short life as a professional musician. I quit school, (big mistake) and went on the road with a band. I played in nice hotels and got about 200.00 a week plus room and board.

I didn't really care for the people in the band. There wasn't really much to do during the day. Eventually I quit and went home, got married and a day job. I was still playing and teaching. It slowly slipped away as I started making more money and it became a hobby.

Recently I went on an audition. They had two days of auditions just for the first round.

A while back, I played with a big band. The guy sitting next to me playing lead was a killer player. We talked and he told me that he was a full time musician. He told me that last year he had a good year. 20,000.00. This was a couple of years ago but it shows how hard it can be and how little return you can get.

When I was in school, I was required to play in a number of groups. They were all 1 or 2 credits. You're playing all the time just to be a full time student. I can't imagine having another major too.

All that being said, someone has to get the jobs, it could be you. A job in a symphony and teaching at a college can be a good living.

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    passion sez:
    Well that sounds complicated!
    ----------------
    welcome to the jungle.

3. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Yeah, I guess the point is that most schools will be happy to take your money and give you a piece of paper in return, which in this field, has little to do with your prospects...

I've also met and played with many people who have masters and even doctorates in performance that I felt got robbed. Someone should have done the right thing and said

"Bob, your a great guy, and we understand you passion for music, but your not good enough to be a professional. You may want to consider changing majors."

I'd certainly want that courtesy. . I hope you get where your going Passion! Good luck!

4. Passion

Passion Pianissimo User

Jun 11, 2009
    My sis is a music performance major on tuba, and she's majoring in biochemistry to get into medical school to become a pharmacist. She also does alot of volunteer work with poor people. She's 1st chair symphonic band at her college, and is amazing as she only started playing her junior year of highschool, switching from clairnet, which she was pretty much really bad at.

She makes time to do all that stuff, and loves it. Though, she doesn't party or drink. I don't wanna do that stuff either, I hate being around drunk people. Yuck. Also, she said she wish she could minor in music instead, but she has a large scholarship from majoring in music performance and cant switch.

Im also auditioning for scholarship money and I would minor if I could. I have alot of siblings, so I need all the scholarship money I can get. Im also gonna work for more scholarship money in college. I know other kids doing double major in music performance anyways. I think it will be fun.

Of course Im not double majoring in first year! First year, I'm only majoring in music, while getting core classes out of the way. Then Ill major in history, though Im not completely sure if it will be history. Time will tell.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I suggest that you get a second qualification as way out if something doesn't work with music performance (no job, health problems etc) unless you are a virtuoso. This way you will avoid some really bad surprises in the future (I am speaking from experience). I start to regret to not have done this myself, when I was your age. In Switzerland, where I got my first degree, in the past people were obligated to get a trade/craft qualification before pursuing a music performance degree. Or at least that is what I was told by my trumpet teacher.

6. brassplayer

brassplayer Pianissimo User

May 6, 2009
    San Gabriel, CA
    In most college music departments, there are generally other fields of study other than Performance (e.g., conducting, arranging, education, theory, history, etc., etc.). I never was an amazing player, but did really well in my theory/harmony classes. And I took what I learned there and turned it into several paying arranging gigs. Granted, it was not enough to live on, but I enjoyed making some extra bread. :thumbsup:

You don't necessarily have to be an outstanding performer to make money in music.