A clogged sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    So i have this really old trumpet but the 3rd valve sounds clogged. How can i fix this issue?

also, the trumpet has a very bad smell when playing.

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    does it have a leaking 3rd valve water key?
    There is a thread in here somewhere about gettin rid of the smell... also check your case for the smell.
    Have you cleaned the horm with a snake yet?

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Are the valves in the correct positions and orientations?

4. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Not sure what that means??

Yes, just finished before.

Umm should be. It sounds all correct and i matched it with the ones on my other horn

5. mineo50

mineo50 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2011
    Barstow, CA
    Leaking 3rd valve water key means the cork in the water key either is worn and not seating properly or is missing.

Unless the horns are the same, you might want to try turning the valve one half turn just to be sure the valve ports are lining up with the slides.

The other posiibility might be DRASTICALLY out of line valves. Check to see if the felts or corks are missing on that valve (this is probably the least likely of the three, IMHO.)

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    hmm im not sure. Might give it to my teacher to have a look at it. Not sure what to do with it at the moment. I mean im playing it and all, but the smell puts me off big time

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It would be a good idea to spend some time Googling things like, "parts of a trumpet" or "brass instrument nomenclature" or "how to clean your trumpet". There are many resources on the web to help you learn what the parts of your horn are called and how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble them correctly.

A water key is a "spit valve". They are used normally on the tuning slide and the 3rd valve slide as a way to let accumulated condensation out of the horn. If your trumpet has one on the 3rd valve slide (the loop of tubing which exits AND returns to the third valve) then if it leaks the sound of any note played using that valve will sound airy or stuffy. If you remove the 3rd valve slide from the horn, blow in one leg while plugging the other, you may perceive air leaking around the spit valve.

Unless your trumpets are identical models, the way the valve pistons line up when inserted correctly may be different. Usually the valve guides (have little tabs which protrude on each side and fit into notch(es) in the cylinder, have one smaller tab and one larger, abd if you look down into the cylinder when the valve piston is removed you will see the notches into which the tabs fit - and they will likely be different sizes. Make sure the wider tab goes in the wider slot when you assemble the valve.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If the felts for the third valve were replaced ,they might be the wrong thickness. This will cause the valve ports to be misaligned,restricting air flow.

trumpetnick likes this.
  9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    In that case , the spit valve is not leaking.

In terms of the positioning of the valves, im not 100% certain but will confirm with my teacher.

Thanks for your responses

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    The valve alignment sounds like the highest probability. I would try playing it and slowly depress the 3 valve to see if at any point it opens up and then closes. If the button is not screwed in all the way you might be pushing the valve down too far. I just had a random thought. Are you sure the 3 valve is the original?
    Finally I would check for leaks around the valve casing where slide meets the case and check the slide very carefully. A weld may have broken. You might try plugging the end of your horn with a sock or something and then blow with the 3rd valve depressed... feel around and listen for a leak.
    Talk about guessing ... let us know when you figure it out.