A clogged sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 18, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It really does sound like a cool horn. One guy here used SImple Green to clean his horn.. said the same thing.. foul smell. Also check your case.
    Sorry ..wish I could have helped

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  2. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    you have helped enough

it is a cool horn. I really like it. But it needs a major service i reckon by professional technicians. Hopefully they will reply soon with a price that isnt too expensive.

Hopefully once its all working again, i shell play it as my primary trumpet.

just really gotta get rid of the bad smell. IT kills it.

* I have taken it out of the case for 2 months now lol

3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    If you can get an ultrasonic clean. my besson had a really nice smell (not) when i got it. after the clean it was fine. I also use another case for it with a bit of lavender in.
    good luck with it.
    steve

4. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    One way to check for the alignment of the third valve without using a dentist mirror, is to slowly depress the piston while blowing. If the sound clears at a point prior to being fully depressed, then there might be a problem with the felts or cork, whichever is present to align the openings. If not, the openings in the piston might be offset to one side or the other, then a repair tech would be needed to align the piston.

5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    well im still waiting for a reply from the technicians i emailed.

If the price is right ill do it, hopefully a good service including a nice shine/polish. The polish i do, goes after 1 use lol

If the price is too high and its not worth it, i might learn to do all this stuff myself.

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    As others have said, from the photos, yours appears to be a rather nice horn. There is nothing apparently wrong based on what we can see. So, if you emailed the photos to the repair tech along with the description that you used here, you will likely receive the same response that you have here - and he will have difficulty coming up with an estimate other than to clean it and replace the felts/corks which is the standard first step.

I would say that your first information should come from having your teacher check it out. He should be able to tell right away since he has experience with trumpets.

If the smell is your biggest concern right now and the cleaning you gave it did not remove the smell, also ask your teacher for a better way to clean it. It needs to be very thoroughly cleaned but with care not to damage the lacquer.

As far as shine/polish - a lacquered trumpet should be easy to polish. Something like window cleaner or car wax will work wonders.

So, there are a lot of things to do yet before you spend money on it. Just start asking questions - that will be the first thing that you need to do regardless of which way you decide to go.

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Well i will first take it to my teacher. The most likely just repair it unless he says otherwise.

Your right, the trumpet looks nice. But it hasn't been taken care of very well. Needs to be looked after, especially after a FULL repair