A couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet-Golfer, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Bixel

Bixel Pianissimo User

Jan 1, 2010
    Germany
    Yes.
    The goal though is to minimize mouthpiece pressure.

With good practice soon for high C you will use about the same amount of mouthpiece pressure that you now use for G above the staff - and the G will charge less mouthpiece pressure than it does now.

While practicing don't allow for noticeable mouthpiece pressure - because without pressure you practice the right things.
    When playing a gig mouthpiece pressure is okay as long as you don't really hurt yourself.

It is - your setpoint is developing!

Every trumpet player has what I call a setpoint (even without her/his knowing).
    It is the very tone on the trumpet which the player feels to be "the middle of his instrument".
    The higher the setpoint the wider the range.
    The setpoint is the tone you focus your relaxed basic embouchure on.
    You can trigger that setpoint tone by rolling in/out your lips.
    Rolling them in -> higher setpoint.

I chosed my setpoint to be G above the staff.
    That's quite comfortable: the low register needs a bit of practice to be really controlleable, and high G is just an octave away.

Just my 2 cent...

:cool:

2. borge705

borge705 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2008
    INACTIVE ACCOUNT
    The top few notes of your total range (in my non-professional opinion) will always require some moderate pressure. If your absolute limit is presently G/A on top of the staff, your usable range with light pressure might be somewhere around E. In 3 months you might find your playing to an F without pressure and knocking out a Bb/B on a good day with moderate pressure. I don't ever apply heavy presure and will always rest a half day or day if the lips start to feel rubbery.