A curiosity question (vibrato)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Mar 6, 2010.

1. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Is vibrato (spell check isn't on) a frequent change in pitch or is it a frequent change in volume? I kind of suspect that it is volume, but I'm not sure, and am not entirely sure what causes it.

2. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Pitch - Vibrato - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Some players use their hand, some use lip, jaw, or air pressure to create a vibrato.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It is definitely a change in pitch. If you think you are a little out of tune and can't figure out which way to go, add vibrato.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Vibrato is a pulsing change in pitch. I use different vibratos for different styles of songs and whether I'm in the upper or lower register. I use both hand or lip to generate the vibrato.

5. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    In my case it's caused by Parkinson's Disease, the vibrato is permanent. DF

6. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Pitch . . . which is why it is so annoying when flute players use vibrato ALL THE TIME, even when tuning. Maybe it's just me, but I'm involved in music at two different churches and the flautists at both places do this. I remember the same thing when I played in middle and high school. It's like once they learn how to do it, they feel like "I'm so pretty" and they won't stop. When they're tuning, I feel like yelling . . . STOP THE G-DAMNED VIBRATO, but somehow that seems inappropriate for a church setting.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. doug finch

doug finch Pianissimo User

Feb 10, 2010
    Whitstable, England
    I realised after I made my contribution that it was rather short and may be interpreted as flippant, however I was trying to make a serious point. Because of the tremor in my right arm it transmits to both my fingers on the valve keys and the pressure of the mouthpiece on my lips so for me I think it is the result of both a change in volume and pitch. In reply to Ric I wish I could stop the "G dammed vibrato" sometimes but I have to live with it, I have only been learning to play for a short period but have gained so much pleasure from it vibrato or not, but I can understand your frustration, I used to play the violin before the Parkinson's and it used to annoy me intensely when some players used to overdo it.

trumpet_man likes this.
  8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Vibrato is a "natural" pulse that removes the sterility of a straight tone. There are types of music where it is desired and others where it is less accepted. The consummate trumpet player wants it all. How to do it has been well covered. The rest is discovered by LISTENING.

Not all flautists exaggerate vibrato.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Its not just flautists, try listening to Maria Callas' late recordings particularly of Casta Diva at times I can't tell what note she is on. My point being a nice controled vibrato in the right place is nice, over done in the wrong place YUK

Cheers

Andrew

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    OK, Since Robin brought it up.

I use vibrato in a couple different settings.

Before something is going to happen. Like putting on your turn signal in the car before you turn.

When I am playing as loud as I want but still want to add something.

You are playing and come to a long note. I like to take about half the value of the note with nothing and then add vibrato.

While playing in church with the organ. It ends quietly and you have a long note. Start with vibrato and slowly less and less until you hear it stop and you are perfectly in tune with the organ pipe.