A Daily Trumpet Routine

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GreggRAlvarez, Feb 12, 2008.

1. GreggRAlvarez

GreggRAlvarez New Friend

Feb 7, 2008
    My name is Gregg Alvarez and I am a graduating senior as a Music Performance major at McNeese State University in Lake Charles, LA. My professor is Dave Scott. One of my requirements is to complete a research project. My project is to compile a daily trumpet routine based on information received from the survey that follows this introduction. I am hoping to get responses from a variety of people all across the United States. If you do this survey, put the number down with the answer to the respective question. If you have any questions regarding this survey, feel free to E-mail me. My E-mail address is [email protected]. Thank you for your time and help. Please have this completed and sent on or before March 31, 2008.

Trumpet Responder Profile
    1. Name:
    2. E-Mail Address:
    3. Location (City, State):
    4. Gender:
    5. Ethnicity:
    6. Level (Check all that apply): Student
    High School
    College
    Professional
    Professional/ Teacher
    Amateur

7. Field (Check all that apply): Classical
    Orchestral
    Other
    Commercial
    Educational
    Military
    8. Do you have a set daily routine? If so, describe your routine. If not, please explain.
    9. Does your routine change or vary due to specific trumpet criteria?
    10. Which fundamentals should be in every routine’s bare essentials?
    11. Other thoughts? (For example, what level should one have a routine, what part of the day it should be, etc…)

2. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Name and email address, from a newbie no less !

How about my Social Security number too ? :lol:

I once knew a David Scott. Did he attend high school in So. California
    back in the 60's or 70's ? He was a student teacher, finishing up on his teaching degree.
    He had spent some time with our music dept. helping out .

Sorry I can't answer your questionnaire, I'm too old to be of any help.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpet Responder Profile
    1. Name: Vulgano Brother
    2. E-Mail Address: PM trumpetmaster.com
    3. Location (City, State): Seattle, WA
    4. Gender: Brother
    5. Ethnicity: Uhh, must we still ask?
    6. Level (Check all that apply): Student
    High School
    College
    Professional
    Professional/ Teacher XXX
    AmateurX

7. Field (Check all that apply): Classical X
    Orchestral X
    Other X
    Commercial
    Educational
    Military
    8. Do you have a set daily routine? If so, describe your routine. If not, please explain. Charlie Butler Routine, Arban Multiple Tonguing, Peters Total Range
    9. Does your routine change or vary due to specific trumpet criteria? Yes
    10. Which fundamentals should be in every routine’s bare essentials? Tonguing and Slurring
    11. Other thoughts? (For example, what level should one have a routine, what part of the day it should be, etc…) Routines work best when started in puberty, should be pursued for at least nine months, and although the notes remain the same, the musical goals should be constantly shifting. Playing the same thing the same way everyday is not a routine, but rather a rut.

4. oj

oj Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2005
    Norway
    Why do you call this a research? Or, your teacher - is he calling this research?
    Perhaps you should talk it over with him?

This is, in my opinion, a bad way to conduct such an assignment.

All the "work" you do is just to post these 11 questions on public forums like TH and TM.

There are many books with "Daily Routines" - some also explain how to and why, etc.

Perhaps you could start by investigating that. Then you could find some players/teacher that you wrote to (personally). Then I'm sure many would give you good response. But do not give them too many questions!!

The late Louis Davidson's book "Trumpet Profiles" is a survey where you can find out about many great players. How long they practice each day, what they practice, what hardware they use, etc.

Good luck!

Ole

5. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Im with oj on this. this seems like some really lazy research. here is the plan. make my first post on a couple of trumpet forums and get my answers

what are we going to know when this is all done and what does ETHNICITY have to do with anything. if i am white, black, or other what does that have to do with my daily routine? what are you going to learn from my ethnicity?