A Fast Warmup needed...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bigaggietrumpet, Aug 30, 2004.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Very good points. Each player's embouchure is unique and you need to find a routine that works for yours. Experiment and see.

However, if you can't get warm in ten minutes, you are probably in need of some embouchure changes. Not just exercises, but changing it to something else.

For years I used a puckered/rolled out emb. and I warmed up slowly (10 minutes) and cooled off / got stiff fast (10 minutes). Since changing to a more rolled in emb., I warm up in less than 5 min and don't stiffen up for closer to 30 minutes. I'm guessing its because I use a much smaller set of muscles now than before. I'm just glad I made the change. Also, before if I took a couple days off I could hardly play on the 3rd, but now I can if I have to.

Greg

2. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Essentially, all warming up is is letting more blood flow through your lips. The best way I have found to do this is something Bobby Shew taught me. It's not to complicated, and it goes a little something like this:

Step 1--Make the "horse noise" (make a relaxed buzz that allows your lips to flap around a lot, if that makes sense) for about 5 mins.

Step 2--Play a few notes on the horn. Does it feel good? If not, continue "horse-noise-buzzing-thing" for another couple minutes.

--Kevin

3. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    I have done that before but never knew that it was "invented" by Bobby Shew. It works very well.

bigaggietrumpet, doesn't your band do a warm-up together or is college different from high school band.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Seven minutes to warm up?

That's easy...

but first, can you have your folks send you a meat tenderizer?

Works for me, anyway.

ML

5. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'm sure Bobby didn't "invent" it, but his explanation for "how and why" just made a lot of sense--like most things he teaches.

--Kevin

6. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Does my nose smell a plug????

:lol: :lol:
    Thanks,
    AndrewWK

7. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    All we do to warm up is play a remington, which takes about 30 secs, max. Sometimes we do a G around the room, but usually, we're supposed to warm up before rehearsal so we don't have to waste time with that sorta thing.

Really appreciate the input guys.

8. AndrewWK

AndrewWK Pianissimo User

Sep 9, 2004
    Hmmmm...
    My band director forbids the act of personally warming up. HIS warm up is the only warm up that is valid. in all reality is sucks because it is 15 min with no breaks, your chops hurt after it so myself and some of the other guys just do a minimum warmup and lip buzz the rest of the stuff.

9. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    That sounds very stupid to me.

10. trptcolin

trptcolin New Friend

Nov 6, 2004
    Athens, GA
    My warmup is concerned with 3 areas: lungs, upper body muscles (mostly shoulders, neck, back), and lips. Honestly, I spend most of my warmup time doing the Breathing Gym (Pilafian & Sheridan DVD/book) exercises: as many as I have time for.

By the time I've done 15-20 minutes of stretching and breathing, I only need about 10 minutes of playing to be ready to go (even early morning). And a lot of these exercises are things that you could do on your way to the rehearsal (some of them in your previous class, really...).

Good luck, and whatever you do, don't rush through your first notes of the day. Whatever you play, make sure it's beautiful and it feels good. Don't be afraid to devote 2 of those 10 minutes to resting!

-Colin Jones