A few questions on range.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GlassMen91, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Look Markie, i will not have a "rat's ass" used in such derogatory terms. I have a sensitive pet rat who would be outraged if he knew that you had issue with his bottom. If you were more knowledgeable of rats' feelings, you would know to call it a Rat's booty!

Cheers

B.U.M.

2. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    One solid reason to develop your range is to have some head room. Those very common C's and D's get a lot more comfortable and secure when you have an F or G in your bag. Its like having money in the bank.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    my bad. tell your rat I didn't mean to dis him and tell him I said hi

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    GlassMen,
    "hitting" high notes NEVER matters. There is a point on working on range. The reason being individual to the player. Making music upstairs is a lot different than hitting something. A serious player needs at least a musical F or G above high C, for securities sake and for quite a bit of classical and jazz repertory.

If your present music only goes to high C, I hope you weren't thinking about studying trumpet. You will be SMOKED before you even get warmed up. Trumpet can be a fun hobby though!

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Although he is still feeling self-conscious about his bottom, he appreciates the apology.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Right on Rowuk,
    Hitting the note verses playing the note is what it's all about and YES the person will get smoked if they only play in the range they stated. I think we would both agree that the person should get busy and PRACTICE!!.....that is if they plan on competing professionally(i.e. first call studio musician). Of course trumpet is a fine hobbie too. It just depends on the person's goals.

7. Barney

Barney New Friend

Jan 11, 2009
    Hampshire, England
    You need to ask yourself what sort of playing you do. If you are looking to become a lead player or a session musician the yes, obviously you will need a good range to succeed. However if you are a jazzer and do lots of gigs as jazz quintets or whatever, then no, a great upper register is not essential. Take Chet Baker for example, he didn't have a great range on him, or if he did then he very rarely used it. You wont often hear him go above a top C. How old are you (if that's not too personal), what range do you currently have, and what sort of playing do you do? B

8. soloft

soloft New Friend

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    I am personally able to play that high, and I have to say, it isn't worth much. No, you won't find that in most music. The only song I've ever seen that goes that high is Tank, a jazzy theme song for an anime on adult swim. Aside from that, most pieces don't go above an E above the staff, maybe an F. Really, the only advantages to playing that high are that you can show off for friends, if you're playing on a street corner you might be able to get a few extra dollars, and (the only worth while part) it helps you gain control over your chops. If you can hit high notes with ease, other notes become easier to play, and you have enough control over your chops to bend notes. This can be achieved by just doing lip bend exercises during your warm ups. Basically, high notes are fun, but not that important. Just do it for fun if you want.

9. NickD

NickD Forte User

Here are some wonderful trumpeters not listed so far in this thread:

Bix Biederbeck
    Chet Baker
    Ruby Braff
    Bobby Hackett
    Miles

Give them a listen, too. ;-) You'll see what I'm driving at.

If I had to put a cut off on the needs of a college player, I'd say a consistent high g (F-concert over high C), and your fine. Sure I like to practice extreme stuff for fun and a continued tenure in the halls of freakdom, but unless I'm playing a MF chart or a Gordon Goodwin chart, it's pretty unusual to find anything written above the high G.

Now, get back to work with the dumbells and develop your left bicep, and you'll be there!

OK, the last sentence was a joke.

Really!

Peace!

Nick

10. Bill W

Bill W New Friend

Feb 26, 2008
    Connecticut
    Not just really neat Jazz but really neat classical like Bach Cantatas, Brandenburg 2....etc. You will simply have lots more opportunities to play if you can play well in the above high C range.