A few questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Arcanemage, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Arcanemage

Arcanemage New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    Hello again. I need some help. First off, whenever I tounge for a really long time I get red in the face. My instructor said that this is b/c of three possible reasons. #1 I'm choking up some of my back throat muscles.#2 I'm pressing my mouthpiece too tightly to my face.#3 I'm blowing too hard.How do I figure out which of the above 3 is my problem? Also, I have a REALLY hard time with sight reading because my eyes have a hard time following the page and staying onto it. Any suggestions? I'm working on trying to get double tounging down. Sorry for the delay in posting and my apologies for the double intro threads. That certainly was not an intention....

2. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    In my opinion you shouldn't be working on double tonguing yet, if you're having problems reading the music.

Is your instructor a trumpet teacher or a band director? By observation, he/she should be able to see if you're pressing your mouthpiece too tightly into your face. You, also, should be able to feel this. The only pressure you should need is that which is needed to make an air-tight seal -- don't use mouthpiece pressure to try to get higher notes.

If you're blowing very hard, it may well be to try to overcome the squeezing of the lips if you are pressing too hard with your mouthpiece.

I've known some wonderful players who do get red in the face but it's not painful nor apparently harmful to them, it's just what happens when they play. I've also known others who get tremendous headaches when they stop playing after having turned very red. Most people only turn red in the face when they strain, and straining while playing is never a good thing.

It sounds like you need to get back to basics, spend a lot of time on soft playing, long tones, low playing, using something like the Stamp warm-ups or the Thompson buzzing book or possibly even the Reinhardt Routines to get your playing turned around to where you're focusing much more on the air-flow and keep your upper body much more relaxed.

3. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I think while your tonging You aren't getting enough air. Is there any girls near you when that happens :lol: :lol: :lol::lol:?

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    How do you tell if your tonging triple or double etc. ?
    Some Of my music has some crazy tonging written and I Play it just fine after a few tries.

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Double tonguing is when you alternate the syllables "tu" and "ku" -- tukutukutuku allows the tongue to move much faster (once it's been practiced and learned) than trying to play the same sequence of notes tutututututu.

Triple tonguing is when you put two "tu" syllables and one "ku" syllable together, either like this: tutuku or like this: tukutu -- some people have an easier time with the first grouping and others have an easier time with the second grouping.

There's nothing in the music which tells you to double tongue or triple tongue or single tongue -- the tempo of the music and the speed of the notes dictates when to use which sort of tonguing.

6. Arcanemage

Arcanemage New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    I have a band director and then I have a private instructor who plays the trumpet, guitar, flugel horn, french horn, and builds his own air planes. As you can tell, he is the renaissance man!

For some reason, my eyes have a hard time following the notes, and my reaction time is pretty slow too. My band teacher (not my private instructor) told us to try and open up our teeth. So my next question is....how much of a gap do you allow between your lips while playing the trumpet?

@Rak
    Ty and ROFL

7. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I always do that and I never really thought of it in detail.

8. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    There is a tiny gap between your lips all the time.Teeth should be half a centimeter apart. I'll try to find a diagram.

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Pound for pound, the tongue is the most powerful muscle in our body. Let it relax, let it "melt in your mouth" and then try the multiple tonguing. It should work.