A frankenhorn?

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by oldlou, Sep 7, 2005.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Currently on ebay there is what looks to me to be an Olds ambassador with a silver Bach Strad 37 bell. Take a look and report back. It does look interesting, even if it does look a bit rough.

OLDLOU>>

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Frankenhorn

Upon closer inspection of the trumpet shown on ebay item# 7348527747 I am convinced that it is an Ambassador with a sterling Bach Strad # 37 bell. I do wish that I could bid on it, but, we will be out of the country by the time that this one comes due.
    Look closely at the water valves and the cross braces. Pure Olds Ambassador. With a bit of polishing and lacquer it 'could' become beautiful and in all probability play nicely as well. I am going to be envious of whoever ends up with this one.

OLDLOU>>

3. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    A silver-plated Bach Strad 37 bell on an Olds Ambassador, yes. A sterling (as in solid, electroformed silver) "Sterling Plus" Bach Strad 37 bell, definitely not. You can see the brass under the silver plate, where the original Bach brace was positioned, in one of the pictures.

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Frankenhorn

I missed the brass showing where the original brace had been removed. Still, it looks interesting, and at a very low price, thusfar.

OLDLOU>>