A frustrating gig.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RobertSlotte, Sep 19, 2008.

1. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    A few weeks ago I had a wedding gig in an old beautiful and very big stone Church.
    When I arrived to the church to go through the solo pieces with the organist he told me that the old churchorgan was very flat. And indeed it was!.
    When tuning I found that the organ was a quarter tone too flat, maby even a little bit more :-( When the organist played the consert Bb its pich was between Bb and A.
    I hade to pull out my tuning slide very faar. I used my Bb trumpet and I hade big problems to play with the tuning slidethat faar out...It made me miss a few notes at the gig just becouse the feling was way of.

Have you any similar stories to share? :oops:

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I can relate! My experience may be a bit worse/more strange...in that the organ at this little church was a "pump" organ. Foot pedals are pumped to get the air moving to create the sound through the pipes. Imagine that the pumping is hardly EVER consistent...sometimes faster...sometimes slower..and everything inbetween.... SO... the pitch could be anywhere at any given moment! hahahaha. Even on one note!

Yikes. However, the check received at the end of the wedding did not present the same problems when cashed. ;-) All good...

RobertSlotte likes this.
  3. nickpasternack

nickpasternack Pianissimo User

Aug 21, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    Organs can be a total b**tch to play with. I've had numerous bad experiences with them. Some too flat some too sharp. Its always the same ting. "its needs to be cleaned and tuned". Well tune it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ROFL

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I Germany we have a lot of organs that have "historical" intonation. They were in fact built during times where the concert pitch was considerably different than today.

I have played the Telemann at A=465, that means in essentially modern Eb, the Brandenburg as low as A=415 - that is a good half step lower, as well as everything in between. We are trumpeters and can afford to be "flexible"!

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    With a bit of luck the A piccolo leadpipe may work just fine...infortunately most big trumpets don't have such "cheats" But still it may be difficult to tune your ear to the new ancient pitch.

6. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The organ at the cathedral that I sing at for a living is probably 2/3's of a semitone sharp. VERY interesting when one is asked to play brass with it. Fortunately, the director of music there REALLY knows her stuff, and will usually get in a little baroque-style mini organ thing to play when there are instrumentalists involved.

7. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I played in a church on the south end of Renton, Washington. At rehearsal they told me not to bother tuning since the organ is not in tune. All the choir members were wearing coats and jackets since the sanctuary is not heated during the week. I asked them if the sanctuary would be heated on Sunday morning and they said it took awhile to warm up but by the end of the service the temp should be ok.

I suggested that their brand new pipe organ would play in tune if they had the sanctuary up to temperature on Sunday morning at the start of the service.

8. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Thanks for sharing your storys, I liked wilcox96`s story :lol:

A can hear what rowuk says about we should be flexible.
    I think I get easyly "locked" in to the "security of the own practise room at home feeling" and as soon as something ouf in the "field" is different I get stressed. :dontknow:

9. Alan Dismukes

Alan Dismukes Piano User

Oct 16, 2007
    Alabama
    A friend of mine who is symphony musician recently told me that he found it more difficult to play with organ accompaniment rather than piano. He said that an instrumentalist is more exposed (pitchwise) on long notes because the organ's tone does not decay like a piano's.

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Robin-

Out of curiosity, have you ever run into problems getting your Monettes to play at these extreme pitches? My lighter MC96 has some flexibility, but my C997 has a VERY pronounced "sweet spot" (and also a very short tuning slide).

-Jimi