A general post about nothing important

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 21, 2006.

1. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Sam Krauss experimented with annealing horns in the 50s. Sam used a hand held blowtorch. He was way ahead of his time. His treated horns were ugly, but he could tune them to suit the individual player's needs.
    Wilmer

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I don't know mabe it's just me but as I read the above list it occurs to me that if you keep your horn polished; oiled, and in it's case when not played you can accomplish most of the listed points...

Hummmmmmmm! :think:

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

#1) That guy's brother is either ignorant or didn't understand the question. Leave it outside for the month of February, or in a meat freezer, and see what it is like afterwards. It will be hard and brittle.

#2) Very carefully. When a bell is annealed sometimes the rim needs to be re-soldered afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    He did understand the question and he is not ignorant.

I know there people still freezing their trumpets but it does not change the properties of the brass. People still do it because other people will pay them to.

I have left my Bach trumpet in the car for long periods and nothing happened. I keep my Bach cornet in the car full time, summer and winter. I use it to play on the road. Nothing has changed. It gets very cold in the winter and I put the heat vent on it to warm it up before I play it. Nothing ever happened. I have been doing this with the cornet for about ten years. It's not brittle and it plays just like it did when it was new.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Cryogenic 'treatments' do nothing but relieve the customer of money.

But don't take my word, read Thomas Moore's article in the June 2004 ITG Journal.

6. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It is faster. I think that one would need more days at a winter temperature that at absolute zero.

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

In other words: "Makes it harder".

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

never mind

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Not ever making it through the whole show in a rehearsal is not a good thing. Like you said, the orchestra and the folks on stage are charting new territory during the performance! You know you're playing with a pretty good group when something gets fouled up and the group can come back together, all in the same place. You know you're playing with a REALLY good group when nothing gets fouled up in the first place.:-)

The whole thing about cold and heat is not a big deal. Your trumpet is a piece of metal! Sure, 1000 degrees will ruin your horn, but 130 degrees in the trunk in summer, or -10 degrees in winter??? No, the only things these temperatures will hurt are your slide grease and valve oil (and your lip, if you touch a -10 mouthpiece). Cryogenics for trumpets is voodoo.:cool:

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I think the general idea these days is to make the brass softer.