A general post about nothing important

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Oct 21, 2006.

1. ebtromba

ebtromba Pianissimo User

leaving your horn in your car overnight when its 10 degrees F will not hurt it at all. Leaving your horn in your car during the day in the summer when it gets up to 120F inside the car will not hurt it either. Your 6K oboe or priceless violin would probably be a different story.

But with both the extreme heat and extreme cold, as someone mentioned earlier, may mess with the oil on the valves and the grease on the slides. Cold may gum the slides a bit and possibly cause the oil on the valves to separate. Heat probably will melt the grease to a certain extent.

My main concern would be the valves when the horn is very cold, before it returns to normal temperature. Much like having bad or inferior oil in a car can harm moving parts the most right when a car starts up cold, I would be a bit scared of unnecessary piston and casing wear because the horn is so cold the valve oil is not in its normal state.

Ok, maybe that’s being a little paranoid. The situation is rectified if you oil your valves before you start playing (like you are supposed to) or at least after playing a few long tones…

Last edited: Oct 23, 2006
  2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Years ago, when the American Legion Band I was a member of did Christmas parades, we used alcohol on our valves. It worked great. You would take a swig out of your flask, and blow it through the horn. Valves stayed nice and slick.

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Oh Mikey your a very BAdddd man!

But I like the way you think. Only we "true" northerners would come up with that solution! :lol:

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have also left many of my horns throughout the years in the trunk-both when hot and cold. Never had any cracks or bad solder joints. Never noticed a difference in sound once they were back to room temperature. I do not like playing horns when they are cold!
    When I was in the Army, we still had to play when it was COLD outside. I had a Schilke mouthpiece with a delrin rim. The clarinets got off starting at 10 degrees celcius.
    One issue with the heat, if your horn is not absolutely clean inside, hot days can turn what is stuck on the inside to that which crawls around. The biotope in the leadpipe I imagine could be harmful to your health................
    Cryogenics is something I would like to see more honest information on. A brass instrument has due to the bends and flare a lot of residual tension that is part of the temper that colors the total sound of the instrument. Cryogenics would change those patterns for sure, maybe causing no audible difference, but then again maybe............... Independent RESEARCH is required here. Anybody have any real good links?
    I had a horn ultrasonically cleaned once and am convinced that it sounded a lot worse afterwards. Any experiences here?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I guess as a Minnesotan, I have to weigh in and say that I have noticed no effects to my horns when I've left them in my trunk during December or January, sometimes even for a couple of days.

I asked Dave Monette about the cryogenic treatment and he said virtually the same thing as Joe's brother-in-law, and agreed with the other papers that have been written saying that the effect is minimal to non-existent.

That's all I know about it: personal experience and the wisdom of others who are in a greater position to know about it than I.

ML

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Manny, I have to turn you in.
    The Trumpet Police are going to hear about those unattended instruments:-o
    I will volunteer to house them in sunny Brooklyn.
    Shame....Shame ...Shame.
    Wilmer

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Manny, the Wise one has shared his wisdom. Now you know what to do and ship those puppies to Brooklyn where they will be in safe,warm hands. :D

(Wilmer ;-))

8. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota

I seem to recall an instance where Manny was trying to explain something at a youth symphony rehersal in the winter. He goes to his car, gets a horn, warms it up for a couple seconds and rips off the last mvt to the carnival of venice (or something like it, it was a long time ago :-))

Of course I wanted to cry and quit that day.... ;-)

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny, I'll have to report you to Instrument Protective Services...I AM a mandated reporter, after all. ;-) Don't worry. I'll make sure they go to the right home for foster care...MINE!

10. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I've been known to leave mine for up to a week at a time in my car--other than occasionally having to wait an extra ten minutes while the valves thaw out enough to actually move, I haven't seen any adverse affect in many, many years that way.

So I'd be glad to help you prove the IPS wrong, Manny. Just send me your babies and I'll give them the one-month treatment down here in the second windiest city in the US....And December and negative temps is just around the corner!