A Good first piece to play from memory

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stevetigerfan, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Stevetigerfan

Stevetigerfan New Friend

Feb 15, 2013
    England
    Hello Trumpet guys ,I am a new member to Trumpet master and a comeback played who is very keen and I am spending more hours than ever before practicing ,I would like to be able to play a good tune from memory that sounds impressive but isn't too technical , I am about a level 4 player has any one got any good suggestions ,a standard or maybe a jazz tune ??

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    My favourite is Bernie's Tune - simple Jazz lick. You can play it fast or medium slow.
    I have a few I like - but just pick one, then work it through all the keys...

Just find a tune you like and you'll be OK. Start each daily practice with it, and you'll have it in the memory within a week.
    You can build on them to make your own library for yourself.

Here's a few, but get a Reall Book of tunes, and run through them, you will pick a few.
    My Funny Valentine
    Trumpet Voluntary (Purcell)
    Embraceable you
    The Nearness of You
    Basin Street Blues
    Moon River

For an impressive tune try Rodriguez's Concierto De Aranjuez - that's a winner even on trumpet.

3. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Even better on the Flugel (Couesnon) . Just listen to the film "Brassed Off":thumbsup:

4. Stevetigerfan

Stevetigerfan New Friend

Feb 15, 2013
    England
    Thank you Peter I will use your recommendations and see how I get on .At the moment I spend half an hour on scales then rest for a while ,play a few of my old favourites mainly from books I have had years that my wife has head hundreds of times. however I can't play a single piece without the music .
    Steve

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Steve,
    I suggest by just playing a few bars of a tune you pick, then go over it 3 times with no mistakes at all, then try on the fourth time without looking at the music. Pick a tune that means a lot to you and the wife - that will motivate you to play it well.

A teacher I had in my teens once said to me, if I make a mistake - then go over that section until I play it 3 times with no error, it is then in the brain. It works for me.

Just trust yourself.

The other traditional way is to practice scales Major and Minor, then go over a simple tune in all keys. That will help to pick the notes.
    Good Luck
    Cheers

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    I like to memorize a song by breaking it down into phrases. Memorize a phase then add the next. That way it's like reciting a poem with a rhythm and normal pauses. Start off memorizing a song you know and like. If you know the word to the song it is even better.
    Welcome to TrumpetMaster. We have some old dogs and young pups, but we all scratch the same flees.:-)
    Good Luck,
    Bobby