A good practice method

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HaYamai, Aug 21, 2010.

1. HaYamai

HaYamai New Friend

Apr 26, 2010
    So i moved a couple weeks ago to a new city so i had to say goodbye to my old teacher. right now i'm looking for a teacher so in the meantime i was playing by myself the problem is that i don't have a good practicing method so i can't keep in shape when playing my trumpet. does some know a good method for practicing that i can play everyday so my playing won't get worse? at least until i find a descent teacher... :-)

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I assume that your previous teacher gave you a routine to use so for now just continue that. If not, use the Arbans book. Remember that Arbans is not designed to start on page 1 and go straight through. Each section goes from easy to hard. So, pick 4 sections (arpeggios, triple-tonguing, etc) that you want to work on and then go through each of those until you have them down. Add the never-ending standard exercises (long tones, lip slurs, etc) and practice some solos. By then, you should have a new teacher.

Good luck.

3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    What ComeBackKid said. Also, if you have a way to record your playing and listening to how you do every so often, try doing that... just make sure it's not crappy quality.

Also, I'd encourage you to listen to recordings of great trumpet players (who you'd like to emulate) a couple times during the course of your practice. It could be as simple of some trumpet player in a an orchestra, that you don't know the name of, playing Mahler's Symphony No. 5. This can work wonders with building your tone (in my experience) as you try to emulate their sound, assuming you are practicing good habits.

Also, don't forget to slowly building up your tempos in an organized manner using a metronome when doing exercises.