A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Hard to argue with that, Trent! I was focused on nuance in my OP. Thank you for the reminder about what is fundamental.
    Jim

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've had just two "Road to Damascus" trumpet-related experiences:

A good ear for music is a mixed blessing. From about 12 onward I was tortured by the poor tone and intonation I had, until at age 16 my Dad allowed me a budget of £100 (~1975) to trade up my YTR-232 for something better. That got me a 300 series Getzen for £168, which was a definite improvement, and was to serve me well for the next 20 years. However, I had taken the opportunity to try out two £500+ pro instruments (I guess they were probably 900 series Eternas). What a revelation! Great sounds with minimum effort! In comparison, everything I'd played up until then had been like running through mud in wellington boots. It was going to be nearly 30 years before I got to own an instrument of that quality, but at least I knew they were out there!

Up until 2004, I'd never played any mouthpiece but a VB 7C. I'd been able to hit top E since I was 12 so range had never been an issue for me, and while my tone never matched those I looked up to, I just put it down to lack of talent. Then came the mouthpiece safari#1 and the discovery of the sort of tone I could get from a deep #1 cup.

Now I've played many pro quality instruments since then. Plenty of differences between them, but nothing anything like as significant as those two real eye-openers.

3. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    As long as we are on the subject;

Iv'e wondered for a long time how much a good ear can help us ,or any player for that matter ,while around other brass players i have noticed some have terrible ears ,now i know an ear can be trained somewhat, but my point is : i wonder how much a good ear figures into the pie chart ?

my thinking is in the pie chart the player is about 80 % and the other 20% horn ,m/p,etc.

4. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    The main thing I look for in a horn is if it fits me and my playing style. Does the sound compliment the way I play? Does the design of the instrument help me play the way I love to? The less the horn fights me, the better!

I'm also a sucker for aesthetics....and copper....

Kujo

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Okay on a serious note here's what I look for in a great horn:

1. Ease of response
    2. Fluid slurs and easy to find centering
    3. Excellent tonal spectrum of color
    4. Superb ability to articulate
    5. Excellent intonation

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Hard to argue with those, Trent, but FOR ME, the tonal qualities of the instrument are first and foremost. Everything else is of equal, yet secondary importance when compared to the tonal characteristics.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    It appears that you and I, and many others, are pretty much in agreement, Trent, though the priority may differ. Your first point about ease of response is one that I have really come to appreciate since beginning my comeback - it quickly separates good ones from bad ones. Concerning excellent tonal spectrum of color, I am not sure I know exactly what that is, though many of us mention it or something similar in our posts. For me right now, I think it boils down to an interesting sound, as opposed to a sound that seems devoid of pleasing aurally stimulating qualities. I am thankful that my present Bb's produce sound that I find interesting, both from my end of the horn and in my home recordings.

Jim

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Trent, IMO #1 seems to cover #s 2,3,& 5. but I believe #4 is much more between the player and mouthpiece.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    There are things that can be done to horns that will make huge improvements in how the horn plays, and responds. For instance, getting a valve alignment (if the horn is hard to center) will greatly improve the centering characteristics, Gapping the mouthpiece (if needed) will open the horn up for you so it doesn’t push back so hard that you have to fight it, having excess solder and anything else disturbing the airflow removed from the inside of the horn helps the overall sound……etc. ALL horns have this new from the factory. This is not a diss against the manufactures at all, this is just a fact of manufacturing… There are people out there that specialize in making trumpets play at their peak level. I’ve had my horns to a few of these people, they are VERY knowledgeable, and they make a huge difference in how your horn plays….

10. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    What he said!!!