A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    For me:
    1. Tone (does the instrument help my tone?)
    2. Is the horn open and easy to play?
    3. Are the valves fast?
    4. How well can it handle dynamics?
    5 (This is a very personal preference of mine) Does the instrument have a 1st slide trigger? Ever since buying my Silver Flair, that has become a deciding factor for me. It's not as important as the others, but it's something I really prefer.

2. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I pulled out my '73 Severinsen a few days ago and have been playing it ever since. I've really fallen in love with that horn all over again. They can be a little bright in the hands of some players, but I've found that a Curry 3TC combined with the sound concept I've been cultivating for the last few years make it sound really rich. The Severinsen plays so easily, and those valves.... Hard to believe this horn is 40 years old and the valves are like lightning - as good as they were when I got my first Getzen Capri in '72!

3. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    1. Must be a fun to play;
    2. Tonal qualities like others mentioned above.
    3. Building quality, for me a very important matter. No one mentioned it before I believe.

4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They are nice trumpets, aren't they? Our experiences are similar. I was experimenting with the Blessing 3C. I haven't taken measurements yet but I think I have gap issues with that mouthpiece in the Sev. It performs best for me with an old beat-up Getzen 5C at this time.
    Jim

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    For me, I think looks is the top feature. If a horn looks good, I can put up with bad intonation, poor tone, stuffy playing, etc. People will look at the bling and not pay attention to the playing. That way, everyone wins...the audience gets a good show, and I don't have to practice. Why do y'all think I go for the fancy engraving and copper bells? Man, when I open the case and the light gleams off one of my fine horns, my job is practically done. They think "Man, this cat MUST be good", and that perception carries me through the gig. Wrong notes are just blue notes, bad tone is a signature sound, and who needs high notes, anyway...

6. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Careful, Dale, tongue-in-cheek with too much enthusiasm may cause your tongue to get stuck!:roll:
    jim

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I thought you guys weren't supposed to 'do' irony :-)

8. Fluegel-Boy

Fluegel-Boy Pianissimo User

Feb 19, 2013

LOL! And I thought I was the only one who felt this way!

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ears alone are just sensors that interface with the brain, but very true when they malfunction or are not optimally functional, the appreciation of music and the other sounds of life create a very dismal sense of well-being. Been there, done that, and have no desire to go there again. Still, I'll only rate ears at less 10% and all the instruments and mouthpieces etc. equipment at less than 5%, all the rest is knowledge (brain power) and ability to use it well.

10. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I guess i haven't explained myself fully ,what i was thinking is from the time we start playing we use our ear to hear the note before we play it ,or at least that's what we are supposed to be doing ? anyway different horns play differently ,as do players ,so i wondered how much influence the ear factors into our training ,I have just begun to work on tone and trying to be spot on the center of the notes first time every time,up till now i was covered by many other players ,but playing solo or in a small group this becomes important .Fascinating how the trumpet is like was said before ?.....endless.