A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Like you, Dean_O, I work hard at anticipating the note I wish to play. Hopefully, the ear factors into our training (and our gear selections) significantly. Indeed, if we are not listening to our sound, and the music we produce, questions might arise about what we are trying to achieve with our trumpeting efforts! My best gear combinations are distinguished by qualities that help me produce anticipated musical notes accurately.

Jim

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Thank you Trent. This will certainly weed out the bad ones. As well as those attributes you list, I like to look for something More (capital intended). The More in a trumpet is that which puts a smile on your face when you play it. The More is what encourages you to just keep playing. The More facilitates playing the music rather than just the notes. This More is a feeling, not a specification statistic. I have found it, and conversely a lack of it, in some of the most unlikely instruments (which I will not list).

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Was fiddling around with two of my Bb trumpets today. I think I discovered "The More". Now both of these horns are good ones and I have worked diligently to match them up well with a mouthpiece that seems to best suit the horn and me. One of the two clearly distinguished itself. Where the difference was really obvious was during slurring exercises at the top of my range. One was easy with good sound, the other not quite so much. I finished practicing with the horn that had "The More"... with a smile on my face!

Jim

4. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    Recently grappling with this issue:
    1- a 1978 LA #6 large bore benge with gorgeous sound and unlimited power and projection
    Vs
    2- either a 1946 super olds or 1946 super recording, both with uncanny response and and articulation- but less of the above.

What to do?

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Merely a suggestion, demasla, ignore make/model, play them, and try to settle on the one that pleases you the most. Try to confirm your choice by having a a musical non-trumpeter listener or two make a selection - again by trying to ignore make/model. Don't be too surprised if your listeners say something like "They all sound like trumpets to me." I am often amused by the money, computer memory, and emotion we invest in instruments that we hope will provide us some missing musical quality or advantage when investment would be far more worthwhile in more/better practice and musical experience, and please understand that I am no stranger to the mis-investment I just described.

Jim

6. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Grab the Benge and give me the lead on the SR...... [​IMG]

7. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    Good suggestions Jim. Have actually irritated my wife frequently with " Which sounds the best? ". She does in fact frequently have no preference, but when pressed- the large bore LA benge gets the nod for the ballad stuff but the SR and
    Super both have the nod in the technical venue (ie Haydn and Hummel concertos)- The Olds horns just have a quicker
    Response and are more fascile with tonguing. But that benge is a killer sound- so say my band compadres to a man.
    Guess it's two horns, depending on the music/venue.
    And no, Mendez does Not get the SR. It stays with me. I know he's got at least one so no need to feel pity for the poor lad.

Larry

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Grrrrr.. :-(

:-)

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    To the OP: I have one criteria. Does it make MY way of playing easier?

10. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    Yes mchs3d, but many of us play in multiple settings, such as a symphony, and a jazz band. We can switch horns, but there is a price to pay in the need for adapting to the change from say, my open blowing benge to the noticeably tighter olds super or SR. It's easy to overblow the olds (particularly above the staff) after adapting to the free blowing big bore benge.

Larry