A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    So, would you consider a Super as a good horn for Orchestral ( and maybe a little Concert Band stuff) ?

I'm toying with getting a completely refurbished one and can't decide whether I should splash the cash.

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well, mchs3d, the point of the thread was exploring the criteria we apply to selecting what for each of us individually is a good trumpet. Ease of play was stated or implied in many of the responses. Am I correctly inferring that producing music that pleases you figures into your definition of "playing easier" in the context of this thread?

Jim

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I should really distance myself from this thread because it honestly irks me somewhat. It is nothing more than chase after the "golden fleece", a better "mouse trap" etc., etc. when the fact is that an accomplished trumpet player could do as well with 85% of the trumpets s/he would encounter in the Public high schools in the U.S. This said, I'm not doubting there are trumpets with more advanced engineering that would make this task easier, but can we put this categorically in precise terminology to state X7 is 32.7% better overall than Y3. No it hasn't happened and it won't. Yep, it's just the wind blowing and its not making music to my ears.

4. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    It's a Forum, where people discuss stuff. If it irks you ignore it. At least no one has brought up their illness or ability to transpose everything ever written, because that could be really irksome. ;-)

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Precisely because it is a forum where people discuss stuff, it is valid to express irks IMO.

6. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Maybe, but then every post could end up with people saying how irked they are and no one discussing the subject.. :cool:

(Like this, for example).

7. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    IMHO the super works well in both settings. I think it characteristically is a very focused, penetrating sound compared to the broader and sweeter sound of the SR. Both great horns. I can articulate faster and with a bit more clarity on the super than even the SR- and that's saying a lot! Both are phenomenal
    horns for technical finesse.

Larry

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I find the Super Recording produces more power then any other horn in our big band. Maybe you have not found the right mouthpiece for the Super Recording to really open it up. I use a Jettone on mine.

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'll disagree on that. I do, however, believe that out of all those horns there will be some that are a great fit. I see the search for a trumpet more like finding a great spouse than the Holy Grail.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not sure I agree with that either cause even finding a great trumpet, we are always adding an N + 1. Some how our government frowns from allowing us the N + 1 Spousal option.