A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I'm not a pro but have played for 38 years on and off - and when I was practicing 3-4 hours per day, I was pretty good. I've managed to accumulate about 20 very collectible, pristine horns in my search for the perfect fit for me. I've found quite a bit of discernible difference in a few of them, mild differences in others, and then there are others that I can't tell apart from each other blindfolded. The 2-3 that I've settled on as the best * for me * are easy to recognize by both sound and feel - I would know them even if I couldn't see them. Yes, i sound like "me" on all of them, but a differently shaded version of me on many of them. I imagine that a top flight player who can coax almost any sound out of a horn would recognize even bigger differences than I do.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    Many years ago I told my wife that I wanted an additional one to keep me company while she went shopping. Then I realized that they'd just go shopping together....

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'll not disagree with the potential of finding a "great fit" among 85% of the trumpets in U.S. Public High Schools (which I used only figuratively), but we're not out there to acquire in this instance ... we'd be there to perform ... and all my statement implied was that 85% of the time an accomplished trumpeter could play anything ... as many do ... and sound good. When I recently visited, there were 6 trumpets in the high school concert band here and FYI, 2 of these were Strad 37s. With my own Blessing 5C mpc, I don't believe I played one of them better than my own Olds Ambassador, nor do I say the Strad was easier or worse to play ... but I was very pleased to say it was as well maintained as my own.

I traded in 2 wives, but the one I have now Is a keeper!

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Dare say I could get the family from A to B safely and in acceptable comfort in more than 85% of recent model family saloons.

But none of them would feel quite as satisfying as blatting around in an old XJ6.

5. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    XJ6??

Don't you mean an XJS?

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    It's a personal thing. Each to his own :-)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    S-Type for me.

8. demasla

demasla New Friend

Nov 9, 2007
    Indio, Ca
    What jettone do you use? I use my 6LD monette for everything but am always open to new or different technology.

Larry

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Yeah Baby YEAH!

[​IMG]

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Vintage Jettone Studio B