A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Jet-Tone..... What's the deal with the vintage custom models? Doc, other players?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The vintage mouthpieces made back in the '70s were fabulous mouthpieces, used by Maynard and many other lead players. Unfortunately, they sold to another company that kept the name, but not the exact specs even though there manual will tell you this. I know this from experience as their model that replaced the Studio B I use by specs was not the same mouthpiece. In fact, I couldn't get even a sound out of that new Jettone "copy".

The deal with the vintage Jettones was they were very shallow and comfortable, but did not cut back on the amount of air you could put into the bore. I never cut back on my sound, which I have never experienced with any other lead mouthpiece (including the Shilke 14A4a) I have ever played.

I have heard that Kanstul makes an exact copy of the Jettones, but never followed through on that lead. I did buy Kanstul's Gustat Heim copy and it plays fabulouslly, albeit, this is not a lead piece.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played on a 5A in the early 70's. Playing the Haydn first movement for a high-school contest I nailed the Eb but the judge, while liking my Helmut Wobisch style thought my sound "too bright."

In Jazz Band got some great head rushes playing high on it though.

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    How many different signature models were there? Maynard? Doc?

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Don't know the complete answer to your question, A.N.A., but mine reads "JET-TONE SEVERINSEN MODEL GETZEN". I have finally had to admit that mine does not work well for me - I am much better served by a Bach 3C at this stage of my development.

Jim

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I've an "Al Hirt" Model D that's interesting in a loud and shrieky sort of way. Very fast, responsive piece.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Sure it was the high notes... it was the '70s you know:dontknow:

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It was the Al Hirt that was suppose to be the replacement for the Studio B. This "Al Hirt" is the only mouthpiece I have ever attempted where I cannot get a single note to sound.

9. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I can understand that. Is the almost total lack of bite on the rim typical of the Jet-tone range? I can play it but just stuff where notes written and notes played are tenuously linked. Like Van Morrison's Moondance.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The answer to this question depends on the era of the Jettone mouthpiece. The vintage Jettones (up to the 70's) did not have this problem. It is the new age Jettones where I have experienced the difficulty in play-ability.