A good trumpet...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comeback, Sep 16, 2013.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, try sticking the small end of the mpc into the leadpipe ---then blow into the larger end, try to have your lips vibrate ----- that might help you!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

2. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Wimp.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    :bleah:

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I've been playing my 1952 Super Artist (SA) a lot lately and have been thinking more about the original topic of this thread: What makes a good trumpet? I have a couple vintage mouthpieces for the SA, a Blessing 13 and a Blessing 15. The physical characteristics of these old MPs really bring out the best from the SA for me, especially the external dimensions of the shank - they fit the mouthpiece receiver perfectly. I had been using the 13 most of the time because I felt it served my upper register the best, but for some reason or another I started using the 15 several days ago. What a pleasant surprise! Sure enough, the upper limit of my range suffered a little. But what I received due to the switch seems to really be worth it.

Several of us (including me), in our posts to this thread wrote about how sound was the primary qualification for a trumpet-mouthpiece combination being a good one for us. Mine had been a little thin and overly bright with the 13 in the SA. The 15 provides sound that is rich, full and resonant across my playable range - what a pleasure! This leads me to a conclusion that should be startling to very few of us. Certainly, we as players are what is most important concerning our unique sounds. But subtle nuances of trumpet design and mouthpiece compatibility really seal the deal concerning our combinations, and this is highly individualistic.

When we write dismissively about another player's trumpet or mouthpiece, our remarks proceed from our own experiences (if we have truly had experience with the other player's choices) and we simply are not that other guy or gal.

Jim

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How very true this is, Jim! There's one guy on this site who uses a piece/instrument combination that I know very well, and which I know doesn't work at all for me. But it works perfectly for him.

All power to his elbow!

7. j10dawg

j10dawg New Friend

Sep 21, 2013
    tone
    valve speed
    look

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    And to his pinky in the octave key! ;-)

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Anyone have any experience with an Amati Kraslice horn? I just bought one for $20 on Craigslist, but was curious if anyone has any experience with them. I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I work in the firearms industry, and I know that Czech firearms are usually very undervalued, but very high quality.

Thoughts?

10. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    My own opinion - You have 2 too many trumpets
    What with all the "rotating," you're not able to concentrate on the most important things - the guy behind the horn and making music.
    Again - this is my own opinion. I don't know what I'd do if I had more than one B-flat trumpet and rotated. It's like having three mobile phones and using them on a rotating basis.

With rotating what seem like decent trumpets, I believe you never really settle into what's important - making music - and are focusing too much on the horn.