A Great Fixer Upper on Ebay

Discussion in 'Horns' started by mheffernen5, Oct 3, 2004.

1. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Doesn't look like much to fix ... except the plating. Replating that horn would not be worth it -- you could buy a new one for the price. Make a good marching horn!

Jim

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I've never played a holton I've had a particular affinity for....

Van

4. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Hi! Thank you for your response..so Heavens2kadonka, you've never found a Holton you've liked?

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Well, I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but I have yet to play on one that even compares to any bach I've played on. The MFs are godawful in my opinion (I despise the valves!!!), and the professionals are basically strad copies. Intonation with every Holton I've passed air through was squirrelly, and the sound I produce through a Holton doesn't cream my taters, really. :D

Of course, I have had my ass handed to me in trumpet competitions by players with worse horns....

Van

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I sold a used one from my store recently. I had several players in the area try it. They all had about the same comments. Easy to play up high -- very easy. A bit more difficult down low -- depending on the mouthpiece.

Fairly bright horn that was hard to overblow (but not impossible).

My main horn (right now) is a Holton. But if things work out, I may be playing a different horn soon. :wink:

Jim